Major Flushing Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

LARRYBELT

Reaction score
I have a toilet that did not flush well at all. I took the toilet off and tried to clear it from the bowl and from the bottom of the toilet. I used a flexible plastic rod about 14" long. I could not find anything in it, but this homemade device would not let me go from one opening to the other opening of the toilet.
I had noted that it would flush when I dumped a bucket in the toilet, so I was advised to see if the little jets around the top of the toilet bowl were clogged. They were. I unclogged them and reinstalled the toilet. The jets around the top of the bowl are now working, but it won't flush at all now. I suspect that something is still clogged inside it, and got moved to a worse position, or I did not but the bowl over the wax ring properly. I did that without any assistance. Can you clog the toilet this way?
My question is what do you think my problem is? My other question is, is there a device that will go all the way through the toilet to unclog it?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
First step would be to go and buy one of those $40 toilet closet augers that properly removes obstructions from the trapway.

Second I would go and buy 2 wax rings, not one.

If you used a horned ring with the plastic funnel built into the ring.....pitch it; they are notorious for causing problems of numerous ways.

Third, pull the toilet and clean the wax off the flange, use a set of new closet bolts and slowly line up your bolts through the holes on the bowl when you set the toilet down. It's a hard maneuver but it can be accomplished.

The second ring is for one of two reasons:

If you make a mistake again

or

You "dress" the flange to keep any wastewater from infiltrating between the finished floor surface and the flange itself. <<< Precautionary measure.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy a closet auger as Rugged suggested. That is all you may need.

Attachments

• Closet Auger.jpg
    Closet Auger.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 336

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
A standard closet auger is about 3' long, and they barely make it through the toilet. Obviously, a 14" plastic rod doesn't even go half way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks