roof leak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I ma in Phoenix AZ, and we got a whopping 3-4 inches of rain the past couple of weeks, people go nuts around here when it does rain.
I am in the process of remodeling the master bath and hada pretty good leak in this bathroom, luckily no tile in the floor yet so not any damage.
Water was running down sheetrock and dripping out of 2 can lights in line of each other in a sloped ceiling.

The house is a 95 track home with conrete tile roof. I was able to get up in the attic to see where it was coming from, my first thought was venting for gas heat pump. Fairly new home I would think the flashing around these vents is the typical first place to look for. No noticeable water there.
I didnt really see any water seeping in from OSB joints either. Meaning there is a rip i nthe tar paper?? THis happened during a short stint of rain in these two weeks, it hasent leaked since...not a drop.

So I am looking for advise on what to do. Tomorrow I plan to have a friend use a couple of garden hoses to spray the area on the roof while I am in the attic to see where it could be coming from. Any ideas to find the location. I would like to investigate before having a roofer come out.

thanks

Chris

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was there high wind producing a driving rain? That could have allowed water to get up under the tiles. Also, there could be a broken tile.

The tar paper is never reliable as a roof seal. It is often effective but just not to be relied on.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Bob,
I wasent aware of unusual wind at the time. Our monsoon season is in July/August. This was a unusual rainy nov/dec so it was long and drawn out.
As far as I know, the tiles havent been walked on ever but who knows for sure.
If I dont find any water leaks after my hose attempt, I will seal it up as b est I cna and repair the sheet rock ceiling.

Mort

Reaction score
Try the hose on the siding as well (assuming it's probably stucco?) I had a leak that traveled from a hairline crack in the stucco, behind the paper sheething and into a downstairs area about six feed adjacent to where the crack was.....if was a bugger to find but an easy repair.

Mort

Chris Fox

Reaction score
After I did the hose test on the roof I did notice some water seeping in on a crack that stems off the bathroom window. After removing insulation and feeling the tar paper barrier water has been leaking in, some water stain damage on the wood window sill,etc.

thanks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks