Sewer drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
hello all, i have purchased a home that was built in 1982, and i have installed a toilet where the rough in was, but in another part of the house ( basement) there are 2 more, what look to be sewer drains that are closed of but can screw off. i dont know what they are for, they are directly beside eachother, i live in the toronto area of canada i want to close them off and lay carpet over them, is it possible?? thanks chris. :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Probably those are cleanouts. They really should remain accessible, because one day you may need them.

Christoff

Reaction score
but, how do i deal with the carpet to go on top of them? do i box them off and carpet around them?

so, are they backwater valves?

TMB9862

Reaction score
They're clean outs as have already been stated or being right next to each other it could be your house trap.

Most people put plywood or something over them, to get the area level with the floor then carpet, tile, etc over it. Keep in mind though these probably need to be accessible in the event of a clog. That means either having an access panel or pulling the carpet back to expose them.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
House trap or 2-way cleanouts. It's odd to have two cleanouts together. At least, it is here in Idaho.

Backwater valves have a single tube in the concrete with a plug inside at the pipe level and you can remove it to get to the flapper to clean it or remove for pipe cleaning.

Christoff

Reaction score
i tried to upload this picture,( hope i did it) theese drains are about 20 feet from the rough in that i installed the toilet

i guess it didn't work

Last edited:

Christoff

Reaction score
i think i got the pic this time.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg2.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 311

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is a housetrap! They are evil! Chances are if you ever have a sewer backup the problem will be right there. I would recommend checking with your local building authorities to see if it may be removed. In any case you need to provide access to this point for a sewer cleaning machine to be used if its ever required.

housetrap.jpg

Looks familiar doesn't it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Christoff

Reaction score
great pic, Redwood, i will try to speak to the city and find out the best way to deal with this . thank you for all of your input guys, chris.

Pinerider

Reaction score
Since your home is fairly new, I'd say one cleanout is for the storm drain (weeping tiles), the other for the sanitary drain. I haven't seen any house traps in recent homes in my area of Southern Ontario, but maybe Toronto was different in the 80's (I don't think they were) Unscrew the lids and have a look inside.
As the others have said, don't cover them and make them inaccessible, you will need access some day.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The give away is if there is a vent for the trap. If you see a vent out thru the wall next to it you just might have a house trap!

TMB9862

Reaction score
All houses here are required to have house traps, even new construction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks