Sump Pump Levels...

Users who are viewing this thread

bumbly

Reaction score
In my new home I have a sump pump pit in my basement, with a battery backup pump positioned right above it. I have two perimeter drains that dump into the pit.
The main pump has a float and it is adjusted to trigger once the water level reaches about half the depth of the drains tiles. This causes the drain tiles to be half-way submerged in water all the time.
Is this a bad condition to have the perimeter drains half submerged with water all the time. The sump does not run very often (about once an hour) so I am assuming the water is not under constant pressure. Should I lower the float level to just below the drain tiles?
Backgound: I'm in central Indiana, the house is in a developed sub-division and it is early winter so we are getting some rain and snow mixed at this time. I have just installed downspout extenders to try and get the water away from the house.
Thanks in advance for any help...

Cookie

Reaction score
Is this a tether type float switch?
Do you know what brand the main sump pump is?

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would have the pump turning on right before the water level reaches the drain tiles.

bumbly

Reaction score
I would have the pump turning on right before the water level reaches the drain tiles.

Thanks ZP, I'm going to try and shorten the tether this evening and see how often the pump runs. Hopefully once the drain tiles are emptied, it will run about as much as it does now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks