Southern California Water heaters $$$$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The price of a residential gas water heater will increase by at least 50% on Jan. 1, 2008, in the South Coast Air Quality Management District ( LA, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernadino Counties). We have for several years had a LoNox requirement on all WH and gas furnaces in CA. Now, those counties require WH to be ULTRA low nox. I had a chance to see the burner assembly Rheem is using. Looks like the flux capacitor out of a certain Delorean, and cost them a bundle to produce. As happened with the FVIR thing, Rheem has come up with a design which will NOT be a maintenenance and reliability headache, and she predicted that the A.O. Smith design will be troublesome.

The law as written caused some headaches for the supply chain. There is no grandfather for existing inventory. Non-spec units cannot be sold OR INSTALLED after Jan. 1. Rheem is shipping the new ones, expect delivery mid Dec. Suppliers have been letting their inventories run down, because any units left at the end of the month will have to be transferred to Northern CA, or down here to San Diego County, which is not part of the SCAQMD.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that sounds like trouble

I would like to see the specs on that unit from Rheem

this makes me wonder how Lowes will be able to compete

in southern california when they cant even make a decent

FVIR heater to date... and be able to pass all the

UL rateings, tha Antsi... and others

of course if it starts in California, it will eventually
find its way east

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Jimbo said:
Rheem has come up with a design which will NOT be a maintenenance and reliability headache, and she predicted that the A.O. Smith design will be troublesome.

Rheem is a she? Who knew?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks