Cable connectors necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm installing under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Simple flat (approx. 1 1/8") flourescents. One of the fixtures has to be fed from one down the line via a loop of 14/2 in the wall. The little connectors (mini Romex clamps) provided for the fixture can't accomodate two 14/2 cables, so what is commonly done? Since the fixture will be flush with the backsplash, my inclination is to leave it off. Suggestions? Thanks.
Neil

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
ream the hole to 1/2" and use one of these...,
whnew104a.jpg

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew104.htm

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Get a second connector. They're a bit hard to find, but they're out there...

The fixture ought to have more than one knockout - if not, drill a 2nd hole.

Use a proper step-bit, to get a smooth hole.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It never occurred to me to just make the hole bigger and put a proper size connector in. I only needed one right now so I just filed the hole bigger and inserted a standard Romex clamp. When the backsplash gets tiled, it looks like those plastic snap-in clamps are the ticket.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Is the junction of the fixture large enough to accept all these wires?
By "junction" do you mean the interior space of the fixture? The fixtures I bought all have extra leads capped off inside for extending to another fixture. Everything seems to fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks