(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: I wanted to introduce myself

Default I wanted to introduce myself

I'm a home owner who has a background in construction/remodeling. Right now I'm fixing up our ( a family of four) house. The former owner installed some plumbing that is questionable and I'm going to go through it and bring it up to a higher standard. The 60 gallon water heater is over 10 years old and we have a second kitchen and two bathrooms across the house.
    I'd like to put in a hot water circulating loop with a new water heater.
    That's the big plumbing project I have coming up.
    Here's a pic of the plumbing on top of the water heater. This is in plain sight so I think there might be more hidden in the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

Hmmm. Old galvanized. Looks like a PEX job coming up to replace all of that stuff. Good luck!
    Mike

Default ?

And your question is?

The vent elbow directly off the top of the WH is not good. It should rise some before turning horizontal. A new water heater might be sensitive to that issue. Read the installation instruction for the new one carefully.

In California, the water connections have to be made with flex connectors, but in your area, that may not be required or even allowed!

Looks like old brass. bad bad. I would be very careful with messing around with that old stuff. That saddle valve should go also. Replace the water heater (I'm sure you knew that) and start thinking of upgrading your old brass water lines before they start leaking. Pex is a nice choice.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Default brass

Brass wate lines will still be working when your kids enter the plumbing business. They do not just "start breaking".