Cracked plaster finish coat - causes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
My home was built in 1950, with walls made of 24 inch plaster board, brown coat and finish coat. I have some finish coat cracking (delaminating) away from the brown coat, on an exterior wall on the first floor of a two story house. The area in question is not below a window or downspout, and there is no obvious damage in the exterior brick veneer. There is a window about 18 inches away from the cracked area. The damaged area is near the top of the wall, where the wall meets the ceiling. The ceiling plaster is not damaged. There is no HVAC ductwork in the area. There is no damage to the ceiling or wall in the bedroom above the damaged area. The damaged area is not damp.

I'm perplexed. Could normal seasonal temperature/humidity changes cause the plaster to delaminate in small sections after 50 years? Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Yes. The house was semi-occupied for a couple years prior to our purchasing it. The previous owner was divorced, then remarried, and was in transition between two homes.

What would cause the plaster to crack from periods of sparse occupancy?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks