pipe replacement question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Arashi

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, and not at all knowlegdable about plumbing. :eek:

That being said I have an issue with correcting a prblem cause by replacing some shower fixtures and installing a new shower surround this past weekend. The problem is that I accidentally cut a pipe and had to try and use a coupling to correct it. Well, that didn't work. It seemed to work through testing, but after a day under pressure a leak developed (after the surround was installed, closing up my access to the pipe).

Now that the direct access is closed up, I have limited space to work with the leaky pipe. it is now all surrounded by wood framing and built-in drawer setups. Trying to resolder the coupling has resulted in more leaks, or "roaming" leaks. The space is so limited that I'm having a hard time getting enough heat to get the solder to flow around to where I can't get the torch (without setting the house ablaze).

What I would like to do is cut the copper pipe further down the line where there is more room, and use a compression fitting that I would then screw on a flexhose (metalbraided pipe thing) to meet up with the central valve.

This would alleviate working with a torch in close quarters and my fears about causeing major damage. My question is, would this work??
Can I use a compression valve on my copper piping that has a flexhose threaded on the other end, that flexhose then threaded onto the main valve?

I thank anyone ahead of time for any help you can provide, again, I know little about this sort of thing.

-Arashi

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You cannot use either a compression fitting nor any kind of flexible lines inside the walls. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this will be sight unseen for 20+ years, and even a little drip can destroy the house in that time.

Arashi

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo, I guess I will have to go with a more labor intensive solution.

thanks again, I appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks