(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kohler toilet seat replacement for one-piece.

Of course, I found out, trying to find 10-32 3/8"x3/4" rubber expansion plugs is not that easy. They didn't have them at HD (or at least no one knew where they were if they did). I went to True Value Hardware and they had every size but.

I tried a size larger and they wouldn't fit in the holes. So now I go on the great rubber expansion plug safari.

Joe

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by jtlapal View Post
    So now I go on the great rubber expansion plug safari.

Joe
    You will undoubtedly meet many a handyman on your journey...
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Default plug

Try an auto parts store, such as Checker.

DIY Junior Member DIYplumber1932's Avatar

Default how to replace the one piece toilet seat

remove the toilet seat by cutting the plastic piece , then use metal saw to cut the bolt and remove the old particle

to install the new one use the Hollow wall anchors you could get it in any hardware store, in this case i use 6-32x1-1-1/2 with a few ring and should resolve the issue with less than $5

hope this will help for DIY people

Default Toilet Seat Replacement

I had the same problem. I took the existing screws out that were stripped. You may have to cut the heads of the screws off with a hacksaw. Make sure you leave enough of the screw so you can grab it with a plier and remove it. The only thing that worked for me was 3" plastic wall plug. I think thats what it is called. You put into a sheet rock wall and screw in a screw and it expands so you can mount things on the wall. I tapped the plastic plug into the two holes in the toliet where the seat mounts. I then placed the toliet seat on top of holes and screwed in the mounting screws. The plastic wall plugs expand securing the toliet seat. So far the seat does not move. We will see after several more uses.

Good luck. E-mail me if you have questions. jj93rx7@comcast.net

I bought a new Kohler toilet seat that seems to fit the toilet.

However, there is not way of getting to the area where I would expect to put on the nuts.

As the previous poster says, it appears to be completely enclosed.

If this means I have to replace the toilet, it definitely won't be another Kohler.

Is there any other way of attaching the toilet?

Thanks

Default I cant believe it!

KOHLER sent me the kit for FREE!!! (or at least they said they would)

I had this same problem, anchor corroded to the screw, I yanked it out, but didnt know how to put the seat back on. I read all of your helpful replies, was ready to go to the hardware store because I am not going to give Kohler ANY more money for being such a lame company.

Listen to this, I called:

1-800-4--KOHLER

They quoted me 47$ for the kit, I said,

"I am not going to pay $47 for the kit, I don't need the kit, just the anchor, which probably cost a dollar." She gave me some reasons why the kit cost that much, I said I didnt need the tools, just the anchor.

She said, let me see if I can separate out the parts, then said, "I can give you the anchor, for $8.50." I said:

"I am not going to pay $8.50 for a part that cost a dollar." Then, she put me on hold for like 5 mintues... came back, and said she would send it for free!!!!!

Well, I guess I shouldn't be celebrating until it arrives, I will let you know. I bet they have some protocol: if the customer resists three times, give it to them for free.

TRY IT!
    Last edited by nosilla; 09-28-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: make message easier to understand

Smile yes, Kohler did send me the kit

i protested, and yes, they did send me the 47$ kit for free. and it worked. it was DEFINITELY not worth 47$. definitely protest that one.

Default We felt so dumb after calling 1 800 4 kohler

After reading some of these post, my husband and I were all set to call Kohler and complain about the stupid design of a all in one toilet that doesn't allow you to change the toilet seat. Since the design is their fault, we shouldn't have to pay $47 for a kit to fix their mess.

We have only lived in our home 2 years. The house was built in 1990 and has 3 bathrooms of which 2 have all in one toilets.

I tried everything to tighten the wobbling toilet seats, which I decided to replace. At first I purchased the wrong kind of seat because I didn't know there wasn't any access to the underneath of the bolts. I went to Home Depot, Lowes and even looked it up on the kohler website to no avail. After reading these post, I called 800 4 kohler and gave the model # and date the toilet was manufactured (1988). The Kohler tech told me to take the top off the tank and reach inside (water and all) where there was access to the bolts. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't help but wonder if this access was true for anyone else with a one piece toilet. After two years of trying to get a toilet seat on and stationary, I'm very happy now.

Angry Rubber Expansion Plugs?

Of course, I found out, trying to find 10-32 3/8"x3/4" rubber expansion plugs is not that easy. They didn't have them at HD (or at least no one knew where they were if they did). I went to True Value Hardware and they had every size but.

I tried a size larger and they wouldn't fit in the holes. So now I go on the great rubber expansion plug safari.

Joe
    Any luck finding the rubber expansion plugs? I've been to 3 hardware stores now - the last store had rubber plugs, but they were solid (no hole to put a screw into). The best I could do was to use a plastic anchor. got the seat mounted, but it's loose. I'm unhappy.

Well I did find the 10-32 expansion plugs at two local hardware stores in So. Cal, LA area. Look in the hardware aisle, and look for the plastic drawers on the side of the aisle with specialty nuts. They should be in one of the drawers, individually wrapped in Plastic. They worked better for me than the Kohler anchors.

One of the holes drilled out on my one piece toilet appeared a bit uneven on the edges and the Kohler provided anchor was first loose and then broke with the setting bolt anchored to it. I had to cut it out after searching for the correct tools to do so for a while. A standard hacksaw did not "cut" it. I got a replacement anchor set from Kohler for free, but the replacement broke as well, though removal was a little easier this time.

The rubber expansion plugs proved much easier to mount and use.

After speaking with the "engineering" staff at Kohler I realized they: (a) either do not scknowledge the problem (b) don't care (c) view it as a money making enterprise. In other words they will continue to sell those one piece toilets with out any modifications to them. (a) and (b) are just as bad as (c). I reccomend stayin away from the one piece Kohlers, hard as it is to say given they are a local American product.

I should have said local Home Depot stores.

has anyone determined where to by the 10-32 3/8"x3/4" rubber expansion plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by sdfor123 View Post
    has anyone determined where to by the 10-32 3/8"x3/4" rubber expansion plugs?
    Home Depot, hardware aisle. Look in the plastic drawers in the side. I got the 10-32, 1 1/16 inch anchors, though they have 3/4 inch as well. I bought screws that were 11/2 inch and made sure they were brass and fit the threaded portion of the rubber expansion plugs. Make sure you buy washers that fit snugly under the shoulderof the expansion plug as they provide support to it. Also buy a washer to go under the screw head, as HD only has screws with heads that are smaller than those used by toilet seats.

I bought a round front Toto toilet seat, which was a bit on the expensive side, but works well. Lastly, it takes MUCH less effort to install the rubber expansion plug/screw setup than the Kohler anchors. Although based on what I see, when the toilet seat comes up for a change you may need to be prepared to replace the expansion plugs screws and all.

Default Kohler has gotten the message - I think

I have the same problem and I called customer support 1800-4-Kohler and they are sending me the complete kit without charge. The customer service reps know the problem and have been hearing about it for years.

Be nice, but firm.

HD has them - part # 83978 (trust me it took me two trips and me digging around in the speciality drawers) - still figuring out this works but looks good. I also saw a blog that if you complain to Kohler enough they will send you the repair kit for free.
    Last edited by fly71; 11-05-2010 at 03:25 PM.