(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kohler toilet seat replacement for one-piece.

Hybrid View

Question Kohler toilet seat replacement for one-piece.

I have a one piece kohler toilet and am trying to replace the seat. the problem is that one of the anchor screws will not come out of the toilet. I keep turning it (unscrewing it) but it appear to be stuck. how do I get it out? any suggestions? i've looked at the kohler site but have not foun any useful information.
    i'm thinking of cutting the screw in order to pull it out.

any suggestions?

felipe

can you reach the nut on the other side from inside the tank? might need to hold that with pliers so you can unscrew the bolt.

As of today, I am having the same issue.
    I think there is some sort of an anchor system used on our toilets.
    Here is my story -
    My seat has never been snug since I'd bought my house. After having enough of it, I popped the caps on the back of the seat and took a flat-head screwdriver to them..... They just spun w/ no backing out and no tightening up.
    There is no way to get to the back side of our seat mounts. No nut under the tank, inside the tank- Its all contained.
    FINALLY I just broke the seat off the commode, and pried the anchor-type securement out of the holes. It appears that the previous owner over-tightened them and snapped it.
    I took it to Lowes and they were no help. They told me to visit a specialty tool supply store.
    I've done all I can do to find a part number or a diagram online....
    I'm at a loss as well.
    Expensive toilet..... no parts..... Great.....

Anybody?? Bueller?? Beuller??

Cut the head of the screw off with a hacksaw. After that the anchors fall through. The new seat comes with anchors.

With kohler just use the phone their web site is useless!

1-800-4-kohler

Personally rather than play with junk that is hard to work on and get parts why not install a nice new Toto Drake!
    Last edited by Redwood; 12-20-2007 at 09:49 PM.

on my one piece units (san raphael and rochelle) the nut for the seat bolt is reachable from the tank. i would not buy a replacement seat from kohler, as it will run as much as a new toilet. there are aftermarket products, but watch the color ... there's a kohler color table at this link

http://www.us.kohler.com/designkb/co...eline_1990.jsp

a company called church makes some replacements or you can google "kohler toilet seat" and find several manufacturers. and there's always ****. with shipping you can get one for less than $40. i bought one for less than $20 new in the box, but alas, the blue was not HERON BLUE that matches my 20 year old units. good luck.

DIY Junior Member pretendplumber's Avatar

Default Koler one-piece seat replacement

I have a similar problem, the seat anchors are broken and kohler does not provide replacement anchors with the seat that they recommend for the model toilet.
    I contacted kohler through the website e-mail address and they wanted $47 for the 2 anchors and a special tool to remove the old anchors. I replied that I did not need the $46 tool, just the $1 anchors. Their response was to offer a small discount.
    Desperate to attach the seat, I inserted a large plastic anchor and, although loose, the seat is attached.
    I have since found a manufacturer, Bemis, who apparently sells a kit to attach their seat to the Kohler one-piece. I've not contacted them yet, but I'll post if I'm successful.
    What really bother's me about Kohler, is that at the same time I bought the toilets, I replaced the faucets with Moen products, which come with a lifetime guarantee. After a few years, the white coating on the faucets chipped and Moen replaced both faucets at no charge. I suppose Kohler is comfortable enough with their position in the market to not care about repeat business.
    Good luck.

Unhappy how to change seat on Kohler 1-piece toilet

I am trying to change a toilet seat. This is a Kohler one piecce toilet over 10 years old. inside the lid are the following numbers: T 54, K45E0 (the E looks like a backward 3) 21820, 2 2087.
    the old seat was screwed into what looks like a nut, which is now rotating with every turn I make, thus I am making no progress. Also, the screw is much smaller in diameter than the hole. Once I get the seat off I don't see how I will get to replace it...

Cut the screw. The insert will push inside the toilet. You need to get new kohler mounting screws.

Default We felt so dumb after calling 1 800 4 kohler

After reading some of these post, my husband and I were all set to call Kohler and complain about the stupid design of a all in one toilet that doesn't allow you to change the toilet seat. Since the design is their fault, we shouldn't have to pay $47 for a kit to fix their mess.

We have only lived in our home 2 years. The house was built in 1990 and has 3 bathrooms of which 2 have all in one toilets.

I tried everything to tighten the wobbling toilet seats, which I decided to replace. At first I purchased the wrong kind of seat because I didn't know there wasn't any access to the underneath of the bolts. I went to Home Depot, Lowes and even looked it up on the kohler website to no avail. After reading these post, I called 800 4 kohler and gave the model # and date the toilet was manufactured (1988). The Kohler tech told me to take the top off the tank and reach inside (water and all) where there was access to the bolts. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't help but wonder if this access was true for anyone else with a one piece toilet. After two years of trying to get a toilet seat on and stationary, I'm very happy now.

Exclamation kohler seat replacement

The Kohler toilet seat attaches with screws that insert into a hidden metal nut that corrodes making
    removal impossible.
    The company is of no help.
    I solved the problem by sawing off the screw, drilling out the 5/16 inch opening of debries then
    purchased nylon wall hanger screws costing 45 cents each. The threads have to be trimmed quite
    a bit, but afterwards can be gently pounded into the opening. I added household glue before
    driving them in for good measure.
    The nylon screw heads accept a metal screw that secures the adapters that come
    with the toilet seat replacement.
    Total cost 90 cents. Plus personal time and cussing

Orthoake