tip(s) for replacing a meter panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I've got to replace the ancient meter panel (combination of meter and 12 circuit panelboard that services my barn and hayshed. I'm going to get a permit and have PG&E do a disconnect. I'm competent to do the changeover with one minor question: the replacement panel is longer than the original. What's the easiest way to cut the old sch80 conduit to length that is running up from the ground?I could use a hacksaw blade and careful go around the circumference. Is there a special tool?

I don't want to pull the wires out of the conduit unless I absolutely have to.

Rick

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try a wire saw. Any plumbing store will have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wire saw will cut the pipe but it will not necessarily avoid cutting the insulation of the conductors inside the pipe.

I would try a short stiff hacksaw that doesn't have a frame and work around it trying to get almost all the way through the wall of the pipe. Then I would try to break off the pipe and clean up the end.

If you can remove or detach the box from the wall you may be able to spring the pipe away from the wall far enough to use a pipe cutter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

I would either use a nylon string, or heat the tip of a hooked blade linoleum knife and melt through the pipe, working around the perimeter and repeating the heating process when necessary.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What size is the conduit?

A tubing cuter is ideal if you have one big enough and if there is room to use it.

I would use a sawsall with a steady hand around the perimeter of the pipe. I never had much luck with the string cutters.

It's only scary if its energized.

Try this. You should have enough room to make it work. Get a short piece of EMT that will fit OVER the wires but INTO the PVC (typically one trade size smaller). You can then cut the PVC without worrying about damage to the wires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks