Loosing pressure with no demand

Users who are viewing this thread

lazer3691

Reaction score
Losing pressure with no demand

My 4" submersible pump (85' well - 35/55) is losing pressure during the night time when there is no demand on the system. It takes about 3-4 hours to drop and kick in the pump. It will cycle about twice per night.

I've checked for leaks at all faucets and toilets also anywhere else that could possibly leak. I've found nothing.:confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere between the pump and pressure tank.

You can try and listen down the well for a leak but this is a very small leak if it only cycles 2 times in a 12 hr. period.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It could be a toilet seat leaking ever so slightly. It's hard to detect, so turn off the water supply valve and check the level in an hour or so to see if it goes down.

bob..

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
To check a leaky flapper place some dye in the tank water and see if it shows up in the bowl.

If it does then you need to replace the flapper.

lazer3691

Reaction score
No leaks at the toilets. Loosing about 1-2psi every 30 minutes until pump starts. Checked air pressure in tank 31psi (system dry), pump starts at 33psi.

Any other ideas? Is there a check valve on the pump that may be failing? Or something else maybe?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can check the pitless adaptor while listening down the well but I doubt thats the problem.

How about an outside hose bib?

lazer3691

Reaction score
Hose bibs are ok. That was one of the first things I checked with kids around.;) Would I be able to hear that small of a leak if it was the pitless adapter?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You might see it if it is in the well, if it is outside, no.

R

Rancher

lazer3691 said:
Any other ideas? Is there a check valve on the pump that may be failing? Or something else maybe?
We're full of ideas... or something like that. Do you have an above ground check valve before the tank? If so remove it, there's one in the pump and if you use two or more, you can have leakage problems back down thru the pump.

Rancher

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
possible leak?

You could always pressurize the system from inside near the well tank. If you get a pressure dropoff then you know it's in the well and offset piping as opposed to the house piping.

lazer3691

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

Rancher - I don't have an above ground check valve. Sounds like it's a bad idea to have one? I thought about installing one to help with this problem. Not a good idea?

Teets - I've isolated the well and the tank from the house plumbing. I'm losing pressure on the side with the tank and well. Knocked on the tank and it's not waterlogged, also I let some air out to see if it was mixed with water and it's ok. Recharged the tank. kick on pressure 33psi, tank pressure 31psi.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not the usual practice to install a check valve at the tank, but if the check valve in the well has failed, or if you have a leak in the pipe between pump and tank, it could work until you are ready to pull the pump or dig up the pipe.

Do you have any other devices in the line between the pump and tank, such as a Cycle Stop Valve? I believe the ones that go in the well casing have a pilot that drips a bit of water at some point in the cycle and if it were to fail it might cause some pressure loss.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
pressure testing!

You can pressure test the well by disconnecting where it come in through the wall and put a tester with all them components needed to pressurize that line, using the well pump depending on the type and size of pipe coming in through the wall. To do this we will need more info on what's coming through the wall. If pressure drops to 0# then we can proceed to test at the wellhead. Let us know what type and size of pipe is coming through the wall.

lazer3691

Reaction score
I broke down and called the well repair guys. They took off the cap and found the casing was filled with water. Pulled the lift pipe and it was cracked at a coupling 6' below the water table. They pulled it up and had it fixed in about 20 minutes. Everything ok now. Thanks for all of the ideas. I wouldn't have been able to fix it myself anyhow. Now I possibly could do it after watching it done.

Thanks Again......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks