Plaster Ground not Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottinTV

Reaction score
I have a Moentrol bathtub valve. The instructions say the plaster gound should be flush with the finished wall. What happens if it is not flush? By the time I have finished the tile, the tile will stand out almost 3/8" further than the plaster ground. I imagine the trim kit has some play to it. Am I in trouble?

By the way, when I tile around the plaster ground, just how close do I have to get? Cutting big round arcs in tile is not easy.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't get too "cute" with fitting the tile. You need to leave room to easily access the cartridge and the balancing spool, + stops if you have them.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know that brand but most valves give you some play. I would give it a dry fit to see what you have. This will let you know how long the bolts can reach.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ground

The rule with most faucets is that the plaster ground can be beneath the surface, but not above it, because there is a degree of leeway, and almost everyone makes extension kits, but there is no way to compensate for a valve that is installed too shallow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those that I've used had min/max lines on the guard. As long as the finished surface was between those two lines, it would work. Some brands are particularly fussy, and you have to be exact, or it just doesn't work right. It should be covered in the installation instructions and make sure to look closely at the guard itself for any markings that may be there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks