Water Heater Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeG

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old WH that has a white crust on the hot side at the male/female coupling between the copper pipe and the brass fitting going into the WH. When the plumbers installed the WH they specifically said that they were using a brass fitting so that there would not be a metalergic reaction between the copper and the galv. steel at the tank fitting.

It appears the the white crust may be corrosion. What could be causing it? No leaks yet.

I was going to call the plumbers that did the installation to have them check it out. My guess is all they should have to do is replace the brass fitting.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It could be a very slow leak. I have seen what you are talking about with very small pin holes or loose threaded connections. Did they use Teflon tape and pipe dope, or just dope.

MikeG

Reaction score
I think they only used tape and no dope. The area is bone dry. The water heater is in my woodshop and does get fine sawdust on the top. I use that as a guage on my leaks! :)

The plumber is coming Thursday a.m. Worse case is they will replace the fitting, I hope! :eek:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Good let them check it fully and I would hope they use tape and dope. I never have leaks when i use both.

MikeG

Reaction score
I looked at it again tonight. It is only forming on one side of the fitting, right at the male/female connection. I guess it's a tiny leak. We have hard water here so maybe it is calcification.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks