(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Water Softener Install Question

I got everything done, the soft water is great, and everything is a lot cleaner (dishes, silverware, family, etc). I had an insulated sheet metal box made to cover pipes coming from ground to house. I used existing drain line that was put in for old softener, just re-routed it to the new softener. I am good to go and ready for the next project now. Thanks for all the valuable advice from everyone. Also, http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/ is the company I used to get the softener, they have been great to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Johnvickib; 06-08-2008 at 05:21 PM.

What settings have you programmed the control valve to?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I just followed my directions, I have 4 family members and the city said I could program for 25 GPG, even though I think it is higher in the summer because they are required to take a certain % of Lake Spence water which is real low and dirty. Grains to be removed is 7500. Regenerate every 2100 gallons, max time to go without regen is 14 days. Everything else is set by QWT.
    Last edited by Johnvickib; 06-09-2008 at 09:17 PM.

They are using 75 gals/person/day; 300. They are then using 25gpg * 300 gals= 7500 grains/day. My guess is that they are then using 64K, which will really be 60K max @ 30 lbs of salt. That is terrible salt efficiency of 2000 grains/lb and... they are using one day (7500 grains) for reserve BUT...

Since you don't know the salt dose lbs, maybe not. I've been hearing from some of their (and other web site's) customers that they are told to "use the default settings". Did you check the lbs of salt (the number of minutes of refill * 1.5 lbs/minute of flow and 3 lbs per gallon of water)? If not you don't know the K of capacity, it depends on the salt dose lbs and volume and type of resin.

The calender override should be set at the average number of days between regenerations. Fourteen is WAY TOO long.

Did they help you size this softener before you bought it? If they did, then they don't know how to size a softener.

I hear they really do not want to take the time it takes to talk to their prospective customer before the sale. I've been told by some of their unhappy customers that they felt they want people to buy off their web site and go away. QWT aren't alone, there are 3-4 other web sites that do the same and none of them are sizing the softener before it is bought.

I suggest you call them and ask them what the salt dose lbs and K of capacity are set at and then tell them to teach you to set it for better salt efficiency; although that will cause you to use more water.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnvickib View Post
    From my understanding, if I put it outside I will have to get a softener with mechanical controls. I would rather have the digital one and have it inside, away from the pets and easy to get to.
    Our water here is anywhere from 25 gpg to 36 gpg so I think it would really make a difference for our household. I hope it will make a big difference with less bathtub soap scum, water spots, etc.
    The autotrol 255/760 water softener is an excellent digitally controlled unit. You can purchase an optional "outdoor" kit that comes with a cover and an outdoor power adapter.
    Last edited by Cass; 01-31-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Clack and 1 or 2 Fleck control valves also have outdoor covers.