Dryer Outlet - no power when completely seated

Users who are viewing this thread

jds580s

Reaction score
I am about 75% done with finishing a basement laundry room. Previously the dryer outlet was attached via conduit to the concrete wall. Now that it's framed I moved the outlet to a box off a stud and replaced the 25 year old outlet with a new one.

When I plugged the dryer into the new outlet it didn't seem to work. I used a multimeter to test it and read right around 240v.

I figured out that when the dryer cord was completely seated tight with the new outlet it wasn't making a connection, but if I backed it out a tiny bit it would work fine.
Did I pick up a bad outlet, or could there be something wrong with my rewire job that would cause this symptom?

Thanks so much!

Justin

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Did I pick up a bad outlet, or could there be something wrong with my rewire job that would cause this symptom?

Either and/or neither could be possible. Sometimes the tolerances are not exactly the same for outlet and plug, and that makes it possible for non-contact if the outlet does not have a contact on both sides of each blade of the plug.

Attachments

• blades.bmp
    47 KB · Views: 444
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks