Can I move an existing AAV?

Users who are viewing this thread

n00bie

Reaction score
I was searching around and ran into a similar thread here, but it didn't answer my questions. Sorry for the new posting.

What I'm doing is nothing more than installing a new sink. However, this new sink has real deep bowls (10" on one side, 8" on the other as opposed to the current 6" double-bowl). If I install the sink right now, it will hit my AAV preventing the sink to seat.

I need to move my vent and I plan on re-piping to turn that 45, attached below the current vent, to the right, go across about 5", then up to just below my 8" bowl using a studor mini vent. And if that doesn't work, just moving it somewhere to satisfy the manufacturer's instructions. I have a picture of what's going on under and behind the sink. This house was built by a builder in '00 and hasn't been modified since.

My questions:
1) It seems my only limitations are "4 inches above the trap's weir" and "below the flood fill line of the fixture". Can I just reroute the vent to anywhere that works for me based on those rules?
2) When I cut away the existing PVC for the vent, is it going to smell really bad? Do I need to have a plan in place to move fast?
3) If it helps, my current aav is a Durgo BA5094

Thanks for any info or existing links. I'm hoping this will be a simple operation - and I think it will be, just want to make sure.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 312
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 282

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Mark is right.

Each trap should have its own vent B 4 they join together down stream.

The set up is wrong and the traps will siphon out when either sink is used or the garbage disposal is used.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

Where it is currently installed is definitely not "above the floor line of the fixture", but what are the two lines in the second picture and where do they go"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks