Soldering Copper Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Any of the instruction I've read on those presoldered fittings said you still had to add solder. A stupid concept in my opinion.

I like the tinning flux. I've never had a problem with it. It won't work on any of the older solders, 50/50, but no one should be using that unhealthy stuff unless you want to be tarred and feathered. It is designed for use with silver solder.

I won't even use it on DWV, it runs much thinner and the hubs on DWV have less surface area, as well as more play.
95/5 all the way...then you don't have to play around with that roll that has the ripped label to guess if it's lead or not.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a homeowner use a $30 propane torch to solder anything bigger than 3/4".

DSC_2128.jpg

The 1-1/2 inch sani-tee on the left had to be turned a few degrees to get things to line up to the sink. It took 20 mins with the propane torch to get it hot enough. I kept the heat on for another couple of minutes after getting it in position so the solder would have a chance to reflow in the joint.

You can't tell, but there is room behind for a heat shield that I had in place. And after it cooled off, I left a smoke detector in that cabinet for the day, just in case.

I also soldered the 1-1/2 copper-ABS transition, with propane, but that was much less trouble. Anyone used one of these? I wanted to use a brass thread fitting, then an ABS thread fitting to do this transition, but the HD didn't have the brass/copper end and the salesbeing recommended this. I had to get it so hot, I'm sure the ABS-end was deforming. It's been in place for over a year and has not caused any problems though. Fingers crossed.

Seaneys

Reaction score
I would like to see a homeowner use a $30 propane torch to solder anything bigger than 3/4". The guide line only goes so far, if you need to solder anything bigger than 3/4" hire it done.

Hmmm...

I have a 7 pump hydronic manifold I did with 1.5" and 1.25". It took a little practice. I had 2 leaks that I had to fix. Once nice aspect to the project was that I could assemble it and sweat it on a bench before I placed it on the wall.

I knew to look for MAPP gas from my previous life. Some homeowners might needed to be prodded in the right direction.

Do any plumbers actually use propane?

Steve

Construct30

Reaction score
We all know that a person with some mechanical experience can solder a pipe larger than 3/4". I didn't say it was imppssible. I said I would like to see someone asking a simple question, like this one, solder a pipe larger than 3/4". Unexperienced.

Also you said you soldered a few larger fittings on a boiler and had only a couple of leaks. A couple of leaks are unacceptable in my book, you fail.

Did you pressure test those drain fittings?

Do a big job with NO leaks and then we will talk. Did you solder those pipes the first time you tried your hand at soldering or did you have some experience. You took what I said out of context.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Do any plumbers actually use propane?

Steve

None that I know - at least up here. I've only seen propane in the toolboxes of handymen & DIYers.

Mike (my plumber, who does a lot of side-jobs with DIYers & etc) says he recommends propane for people just learning: it's slower, but that means it's more forgiving, you're less likely to over-heat the fitting and 'burn off' the flux. Once they learn to recognize the right temp, he switches them over to MAPP.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks