No water returning to toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo2

Reaction score
When I flush water is not refilling the tank nor bowl. I cut off water from the wall, wait a few seconds, turn it back on, then it works (most of the time). Can you help me? Definitely not a plumber!
Jimbo2

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
My guess, from here, is you have a loose washer in the stop under the toilet or a bad fill valve or both.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the fill valve, the float may be rubbing on something, and not dropping to open the valve, or it could be internal to the valve. Take the cover off the tank and watch to see what's going on. As mentioned, it could also be the supply valve or the hose connecting the shutoff to the fill valve.

One simple test is to first turn off the water, then remove the hose from the fill valve, then after pointing it into either the toilet or a bucket, turn the valve back on. If you get water out, it's probably in the toilet, if not, it's the valve.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks