(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New three way switch and cable

Default New three way switch and cable

I need to relocate a three way switch. Here is a picture of the existing box I plan to tie into.

1) Can I use a plastic box for the switch?

2) Can I use NM 14/3 cable for this?

3) If I use the NM 14/3 cable, what do I do with the ground? Do I ground the wire at the existing metal box to the box and ground the other side to the switch ground screw?

4) This switch is at the end of the run. Do I code the white wire with black tape?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonba View Post
    I need to relocate a three way switch. Here is a picture of the existing box I plan to tie into.

3) If I use the NM 14/3 cable, what do I do with the ground? Do I ground the wire at the existing metal box to the box and ground the other side to the switch ground screw?

4) This switch is at the end of the run. Do I code the white wire with black tape?

Thanks!
    1. Yes
    2. Depends on the size of the breaker or fuse feeding this. If it is 15amps, then yes. If it's 20amp, then you need 12/3.
    3. You can get a clip or screw to tie the ground wire to the metal box, unless there is already ground wires present there. If so, you tie the ground to them. At the switch, just tie the bare wire to the green screw.
    4. Yes.
    Just my 2 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonba View Post

Depends on where you are. Local codes might require BX (the armoured cable in your pic).

yes.

Thanks!
    Yes. And make sure the white is the constant, the black switched.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...