Stove circuit sleeve question

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
At the weekend I successfully rewired my electric stove.

I replaced the 50 amp breaker and upgraded the cable to 3 wire 6 gauge with ground Romex. I installed a 4 conductor receptacle and a new range cord. I disconnected the neutral/ground jumper in the range.

I made the connection to the main panel. I cut the outer sleeve of the new cable away but left a few inches inside the panel. I know most people cut the outer sleeve of cables in the panel right up to the cable clamp.

Am I OK with a little too much sleeve on the cable in the main panel? Or is there a danger I have overlooked?

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You are fine. If I have room I leave the sheath a few inches long and mark the circuit's location on them. The reason we cut them short is to be able to manipulate the wires for a clean installation.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thank you. I will sleep at night now.

I did not realize how hard it is to run cable until I did this job. Now I know why rewiring is so expensive. It takes so long to clamp the cable to the joists and heavy gauge cable is....well....heavy.

Not to mention the cost of 6 gauge 3-wire Romex. Over $200 for 100 feet.

Geez.

I took my time, and clamped every 2 feet instead of 4 - less that 12 inches from the panel and receptacle of course, but it took 2 days to run this cable and I did not have any walls to fish through whatsoever (the basement being unfinished). I almost bit off more than I could chew.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks