Moen Chateau cartridge replacement aftermath

Users who are viewing this thread

loquin

Reaction score
An interesting issue.

I replaced the cartridge on my moen shower valve. I went to Moen's website to get the cartridge number(s) for the Touch Control valve. (Note - this is the Touch Control Valve, Model # 82512, and NOT the chateau mentioned in the title, as it does NOT have the auto-balancing feature) I had no issues in getting the old cartridge out, or the new on in. (a while back, I shelled out for the cartridge replacement tool) However, there was one odd thing that resulted:

After replacing the cartridge, HOT is now UP (rather than left) and the COLD is DOWN, instead of to the right !

What in the world do I have to do to get it back to normal, with HOT on the left and COLD on the right? You can't just rotate the cartridge 90 degrees, as it won't work at all that way. And, if you rotate it 180 degrees, it just swaps the Hot/Cold.

Thanks

Lou

Ref Model #85212 exploded parts view

BTW - there were two cartridge numbers listed (1225 or 1200) - I tried them both - and had the same result...

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
moen

moen1225.gif

rotate the stem not the cartrage,180degrees and that should fix it.You ned to to take the handel off first there is a notch on the stem & should be on top.
You do not have to take it out again just rotate the stem.You may want to turn water off but not neccesary.Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
cyhu2 is right on the money. These are designed for easy reversal, to handle back to back showers. Not necessary to even turn off the water main. Just put the handle in center ( straight up ) position. Remove the handle. With a small pliers, just rotate the stem 180º. Now put the handle back on.

loquin

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. I'll give that a whirl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks