sink drains

Users who are viewing this thread

mlawrence

Reaction score
I've noticed in a couple of new houses being built that the plumbers don't drain the lavatory through the bottom plate. Instead they add a couple of 45's and bring it out into the living space. Is there a benefit to this???

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 357

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I have no idea why they do it exactly that way. If it's on an outside wall, you cannot drill a full-sized hole through the plate because of the rim joist beneath it.

Doing it this way uses more fittings than necessary, it seems to me. The method i was taught is to first drill a hole in the plate, then use a sawzall to cut the face of the plate out. That leaves enough room to drop a piece of pipe with a 45 on it into the floor, and the hole in the plate is covered with a steel plate.

By using my method, there two forty-fives necessary to go horizontally toward a main or to go around the edge of the concrete foundation. By the method shown in your picture, you've already got two forty-fives, you'll need yet another 90 degrees of turn to go horizontal, and from what I guess, on an outside wall you still aren't clearing the concrete foundation so you'd need yet another vertical offset to go around that.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
One more note on that picture - I live in a place where it can go below zero, sometimes for weeks. I would never put water lines in an exterior wall if I could help it. I'm sure it's not a problem in warmer climates.

Construct30

Reaction score
I would say they did it because it was easier that way. They made more work for the drywallers and cabinet men, but it was easier for them. It would take more fire caulk to seal it around the drywall, if I were the drywaller I would cut a big hole for the plumber to deal with. Fire caulk is expensive stuff and the inspectors love it. Does the other pipe go to another sink?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Construct30 said:
I would say they did it because it was easier that way.

I guess that's what you get for the lowest bid. At least it looks neat.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Most likely a beam is situated directly underneath the wall. The plumber offset the pipe into the toe kick area of the cabinet to prevent notching the top of the beam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks