sink not draining / just roughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry896

Reaction score
I was asked to move a waste drain for a new vanity from existing 18" up to 24 1/2" so that i would not cut into a fixed shelf, so I changed the rough.

Now after all the sheetrock / vanity / sink is installed, the water does not drain. It just sits in the basin waiting for something to happen, and eventually does drain.

I am assuming that my waste is now to high. If it is, how can I lower it, without cutting into the fixed shelf? The bottom of the trap is about 2 inches above the shelf at the moment.

Thanks

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have your setup pictured right, and I'm not a plumber. But instead of changing the rough, couldn't you just extend the standpipe, and have the trap under the shelf?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I was asked to move a waste drain for a new vanity from existing 18" up to 24 1/2" so that i would not cut into a fixed shelf, so I changed the rough.

Now after all the sheetrock / vanity / sink is installed, the water does not drain. It just sits in the basin waiting for something to happen, and eventually does drain.

I am assuming that my waste is now to high. If it is, how can I lower it, without cutting into the fixed shelf? The bottom of the trap is about 2 inches above the shelf at the moment.

Thanks

as long as te trap arm enters the tee below the bowl of the sink it shouldn't matter. Sounds to me like someone poured something down the drain during construction (drywall mud and paint being the usual culprits)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

high or low, it is immaterial if all you did was move the elevation of the tee in the line. Either something is in the line, or we are not getting the correct information.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
lowering or raising it does not mater, as long as you are draining below the sink.

Sounds like you need a drain cleaner to go and snake the drain.

I was on a job once, new construction, the owner pissed the plumbers off, fired them, they came back sometime and dumped 2 x 4's and chunks of wood down the vents, along with other debris, a 3 story house with an elevator, very bad situation, it was all walled up and completed, no one knew until is was finish time :eek:

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
If that's the case he has a whole different problem since the water is draining.

I once had a job where a deflated clean-seal (Cherne) was left in a drain line. It would plug up and let a little water pass.

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
lowering or raising it does not mater, as long as you are draining below the sink.

Sounds like you need a drain cleaner to go and snake the drain.

I was on a job once, new construction, the owner pissed the plumbers off, fired them, they came back sometime and dumped 2 x 4's and chunks of wood down the vents, along with other debris, a 3 story house with an elevator, very bad situation, it was all walled up and completed, no one knew until is was finish time :eek:

Old Mason's trick: put a pane of glass halfway up the flue of every chimney you build. If the guy doesn't pay you, leave it there. His chimney won't draw, he looks up, no obstruction...

When you get paid, drop a brick down the chimney.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks