polybutylene fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

EzraDylan

Reaction score
I have been reading about PB the last couple of days and trying to figure out the bestway to make some connections. I am a relatively new homowner. I have PB throughout the house with all copper connections. Which I gather is one positive thing. I need to replace the water heater. The copper from existing water heater are connected to the PB with crimp rings. I Have PB size 3/4"CTS-OD. That is what it says on the pipe. I have read that brass compression fittings will work fine to connect this PB to copper but I am having trouble finding a brass 3/4" compression X 3/4" MIP. Are these not made or do I need to look somewhere other than lowes and home depot?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I usually use transition fittings to change from PB to PEX pipe. (I wouldn't necessarily want to use copper.) But you should be able to find Sharkbite fittings to transition from PB to copper. (Or PEX.)

Construct30

Reaction score
Brass fittings with brass ferrules will not work on PB or almost any plastic pipe no matter what you've been told. You have to buy a fitting for PB. Quest makes some fitting that are compression that work well on PB, you will have to find them on the internet. Some old hardware stores stock them, they are a grey plastic fitting. A leak above a hot water tank is death to it. The zurn PEX to PB crimp fitting is the best bet, but not a DIY project unless you want to spring for a hundred bucks or so in tools. Maybe you cound rent the crimp tool.

Last edited:

EzraDylan

Reaction score
crimp tool

I think the crimp tool can be rented locally I have been told at least. I heard the crimping tool had to be calibrated?? Is the crimping tool easily used.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The crimping tool is easily used if you know how it's supposed to be used correctly - for example, where to put the crimp, how to hold it in place, what not to do with the tool, how to support the pipe properly.

Construct30

Reaction score
So, How the heck do you hold that rotton crimp in place? I like the looks of the viega system because of that. I have no place to buy it or I would give it a try. Wirsbo is good because of the odd locations pipes have to be put in too.

If you have a creative way to keep the crimp where it belongs I wouldn't mind hearing it, I even took in a seminar and nothing was said. Nothing was asked though.

Zurn's video says to mash the ring with your fingers a bit. Never worked too well for me, i guess it helps.

Last edited:

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Brass fittings with brass ferrules will not work on PB or almost any plastic pipe no matter what you've been told. You have to buy a fitting for PB. Quest makes some fitting that are compression that work well on PB, you will have to find them on the internet. Some old hardware stores stock them, they are a grey plastic fitting. A leak above a hot water tank is death to it. The zurn PEX to PB crimp fitting is the best bet, but not a DIY project unless you want to spring for a hundred bucks or so in tools. Maybe you cound rent the crimp tool.

I'm hearing talk of a class action lawsuit against Zurn. I would look into it before using their fittings. Plenty of other pex fitting manufacturers to choose from.

Construct30

Reaction score
Zurn's catalog has some plastic compression fittings listed for PEX, copper, CPVC, and PB. They have a new line of plastic crimp style fittings now.

I wonder what I'm suposed to do with the large box full of their brass fittings I have. I guess I could just ignore the talk of lawsuits, yea right.

EzraDylan

Reaction score
Ok, i can rent a crimper locally. I have 3/4"CTS are the crimp rings sized as what size pipe they are used for or do I need for example a 7/8"ring for a 3/4" pipe? I want to crimp in a 3/4" male adapter to connect flexible copper hose to for a water heater. Any tips you can offer? Also, sharkbite fittings have been mentioned to me but my hot water hearter is on the second floor and a push fitting really worries me.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
You can hold the crimp in place by squeezing it lightly with channelocks.

I prefer Vanguard. The problem with fittings, as I understand it, was that Zurn made them too thin, and they fail rather quickly.

zurn01sm.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks