In Wall TV Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
Have any of you used structured wires? I'm looking at running the wires for a wall mount TV and would love to be able to run a single wire instead of 5 wires for components (RGB + L&R channel). Where can I get small amounts of the wire instead of having to purchase 250' at a time?

Thanks for your input.
Jeff

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Your going to have problems trying to find small amounts of structured wiring. I just wired my whole house while it was gutted with structured cabling. I used a quad cable setup, two rg6, 1 cat5e, 1 phone line. I wish I would have put a couple hdmi lines in the wall for my flat panel as well. I actually bought my structured wiring from Ritz Camera but I couldn't find it just now. Here's a link to the manufacturer of the cable I got http://www.scpcat5e.com/ also checkout www.monoprice.com for the best prices on hi-def cables. I picked up 2 10ft. hdmi 1.3 cables for around $20 shipped, they run around $50 each in most stores.

tipk99

Reaction score
Has anyone considered just running some conduit - or PVC, allowing the use of any cable? perhaps 1-1.5" diameter... That way as technology changes, you can just run a new wire through the conduit. Maybe through a fitting like a built in vacuum fitting?

any reason I shouldn't do this?

Tom

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Tom,

I think that should work. I have a situation where I would like to add in-wall TV wiring. I can come up from the basement, through the bottom plate of my target wall, with conduit. Then in the basement, do what I need to do to get cable up the conduit. Cut an access hole in the wall where the TV will hang and terminate the conduit with a handy box of some type.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Has anyone considered just running some conduit - or PVC, allowing the use of any cable? perhaps 1-1.5" diameter... That way as technology changes, you can just run a new wire through the conduit. Maybe through a fitting like a built in vacuum fitting?

any reason I shouldn't do this?

Tom

That's what I did in my walls except I used 2" pvc for the structured wiring and used 3/4" pex for the speaker wiring.

tipk99

Reaction score
Great, thanks! What sort of trim did you use on the outlet of the 2" PVC? are there things like light switch covers that have a 2" hole? Or did you buy a blank and cut a hole? How did you make it look nice?

Tom

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Use a 2 gang mud ring right below your conduit which will accept a 2 gang blank cover. You can easily drill whatever size hole(s) you need in the cover and have enough access to get you hand in the wall cavity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks