# of Honeywell Zone valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I currently have 3 zones on my hot water system. These valves run at 24volts from what I have read. I was wondering if I can add 2 more zones to the system? Is there a limit to how many zones the 24 volt transformer can support/power?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Absolutely...the transformer may need to be updated. It should be marked with VA rating, which will indicate how much power it can supply. Each valve will also have a required value. Add up the load, and then compare with what's available. The transformers aren't often particularly expensive or hard to replace, if required. Yours could have enough capacity, but you need to check to be sure. The valve's requirement should be in their spec sheet.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Here are the specs on a new 24 volt transformer.

http://pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=1740&cID=282&brand=Honeywell
Voltage: 750 mV
Connection Type: Spade Terminals
Lead Length (in.): 35 in.
Lead Length (mm): 889 mm
Open Circuit Output (mV): 600 mV to 750 mV
Resistance: 2.89 ohm
Temperature Ratings (F): Hot Junction 1400 F
Temperature Ratings (C): Hot Junction 760 C
Temperature Ratings (F): Cold Junction 780 F
Temperature Ratings (C): Cold Junction 416 C
Includes: push-in clip
Used With: Q314, Q324, Q327, Q377, Q379, Q382 Pilot Burners
Tradeline Value: Tradeline
Ref: Honeywell.com

What is the actual numbers I need to compare? I do not see a VA reference.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I currently have 3 zones on my hot water system. These valves run at 24volts from what I have read. I was wondering if I can add 2 more zones to the system? Is there a limit to how many zones the 24 volt transformer can support/power?

If you look at the wattage of the zone valve and the VA of the transformer you can figure out hot many a 40VA transformer will hold, But you can always use as many transformers as needed...

I really like these Taco Controls, they simplfy the wiring and neaten it up quite nice, take a look... You can get a 6-zone board, which comes with 2 transformers built right in...

ZoneValveControl.jpg

Last edited:

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Ok, So just to finish this off..

The total watage of the valves (Simply add them all up) can not exceed the VA of the transformer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks