Everything in one ditch?

Users who are viewing this thread

loveoldtrux

Reaction score
Going to get the DitchWitch tommorrow to dig a 24" trench from the submerged pump casing to the water tank storage shed behind the garage and then to the house from there. Seems I'll need about 175 feet of polypipe.

The question is will I be able to bury the all the pipe AND the electrical wire to the pump in the same ditch? I didn't see why not since it'll be wire rated for burial - I just need to make sure that clamps are not close to the wire in the ditch, as I imagine there is a "slight" amount of vibration in the lines when the pump turns on...

Just asking as I know you guys do this everyday all day long. I was trying to keep from digging two / three seperate ditches...

Thanks!
Mark

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
There is a move away from submersible well casings that don't extend above grade (this is a submersible pump in a well shaft, right?) so you might want to allow for making the upgrade at some future time.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Running the waterline and wire in the same trench is common practice in our trade and will not present any problems for you.

Sammy

loveoldtrux

Reaction score
Thanks Sammy for the much awaited reply!! I was hoping I could do that; everything in one ditch all the way to the pitless adapter. Makes for a lot easier installation (for one 55 year old fart)!

Regards,
Mark

R

Rancher

Depending on the critters in your area, you might consider putting the wire in conduit I have had to dig up previous UF buried cable and replace in conduit.

Rancher

loveoldtrux

Reaction score
Rancher - great idea!!..... that wouldn't cost too much for some UF to go through.....it's a lot cheaper to do it now than having to dig it up later because of a rabid Muskrat!!

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Last time I saw a submersible pump replaced, the installer was adding a section of casing to the existing casing, so that it would extend above grade. Said it was required by law (this was in New Jersey) on every pump replacement job. Public health was the given reason for the law, to reduce the chance of surface contamination finding its way into the well shaft.

For a well that doesn't have the casing extend above grade, I might allow for having some slack in the wire, to allow for future extension of the casing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks