Sewer Pipe positioning

Users who are viewing this thread

A

abrucerd

Hi,

I moved into a house in August that has a brand new septic system. I just got a flyer on my door from the town stating that they'll be installing sewer service in my neighborhood.

They're asking me to sketch a pipe route from my house to the sewer in the street. They'll use this as a guide to install a short section of service pipe from the main in the street to the property line near my house.

Since my septic system is brand new (installed shortly before we moved in), I don't think I'll be turning sewer service on immediately. However, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot when i'm plotting out where the service pipe should be positioned.

I guess my question is, what should I be considering when it comes to sketching out the pipe route?

I'm assuming that if I want to add an addition onto the house down the road, I don't want the pipe to be where the addition will be going, right?

Also, does it matter where my current septic system is? The new septic system was installed by the previous owner, and I don't have the plans for it. I'm guessing I should try and get it before I sketch this pipe route?

Any other major things you guys/gals can recommend I keep in mind so I don't cause myself (or the next owner) a giant headache?

Thanks in advance!

adam

Construct30

Reaction score
Where I live when they go to the trouble of putting in sewers they kind of insist that people hook up to them even if they don't want to, go figure the government making a homeowner do something they don't want to. Are you sure hooking up is optional?

A

abrucerd

Yes, they've stated that it's up to me to hire a professional to connect my house to the distribution system (they won't be connecting me), and stated that it is not mandatory (unless the town board of health says so).

Construct30

Reaction score
That's good. Take into account any future plans as well as any other buried utilities as much as possible. You don't want to go through your driveway if possible. Besides that go for the closest straight shot to where the sewer exits now. You will have some cleanouts to deal with to in the yard. Take into account trees shrubs and landscaping.

Keep in mind future fee increases for tapping in and the rise in contractor pricing, save your pennies.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Find where the pipe goes out of the house now. Determine which direction would be shortest and the least amount of bends to reach the sewer tap. As already mentioned, avoid driveways, sidewalks, shrubs and so on - you also need to know things like where your telephone line, gas line and any other utilities are.

A

abrucerd

thanks for the fast replies.

My current septic pipe goes out the back of the house, so I'm guessing I'll need to go around the back when I want to connect to the sewer main in the future.

I'm a first time homeowner, so much of this is new to me. Is there an easy way for me to find out about utilities on my property? Is it on file anywhere that I can access, or to I have to contact each utility directly.

Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Dig safe or something similar in your area is usually a free service that the utility companies offer to locate their stuff so it can be marked prior to digging. You might give them a call and see what they'll do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
utilities

Utilities are irrelevent at this time. Install the sewer tap at the closest, most convenient location. Anything you do in the future is also irrelevent because it may never happen, and if it does, the sewer can go under any addition, and might be an advantage if you need to connect to it for added plumbing. You only need to know where the utilities are when you install the pipe,

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Why not have a plumber come out with a sewer camera and locate where the sewer comes out of the house and have him mark it in green spray paint.

We have very few septic systems, once th ecity installs the new sewer, the owners of the tanks are not allowed to have them repaired or replaced, they can use them up until the point of repair or replace, maint is approved, but thats it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks