Toilet is not flushing correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
I added a new floor to my kids bathroom, and after putting the toilet back on with a new wax ring, solids will not flush. I tried a couple different rings, and the same situation is happening. The floor was raised about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, so I got one of those extender rings because they claim to be what I need. I guess I'm not sure if it's the ring, or something else. The toilet worked perfectly before I took it off. I've been reading that I could try to double up on the wax rings, and I guess i'll give that a shot, it's just I don't want to have too much wax if that is even an issue.

So does anyone have any ideas for me?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't have a good seal because your flange is too low, you would probably be seeing water on the floor or below the toilet somewhere. That should not cause a backup.

Perhaps you dropped something down the drain or in the toilet itself?

Have you tried using a toilet auger?

auger_01.jpg

Closet Auger with 1-3/8" end on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
I dropped nothing, i'm sure of it. Whatever I'm trying to flush will usually go down after the second flush.

As I look at the toilet and the way it flushes, I notice that my other toilets spin, and this one doesn't. This is really getting out of hand. I might just have to call a plumber tomorrow.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fill up a bucket of water and dump it in the toilet. If the water all goes down quickly, then you don't have a blockage.

If that's the case, take off the toilet tank lid and see how much water is filling the tank and how much water is making it out of the tank when you flush. Also, make sure that little tube that goes from the fill valve to the toilet overflow is hooked up correctly.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
Yeah, the water goes right down and I get a good water rotation with the bucket of water.

I looked at the inside, and everything seems to be working correctly. I see the water go all the way down to the bottom, and then the flap closes the hole when the water is gone. I had problems before related to the flapper, and I replaced it, so I know thats not the issue this time.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the tank filling all the way up?

If so, the only 2 things left that can cause a poor flush are the little holes in the rim of the bowl may be clogged with mineral deposits or the vent has become blocked somehow.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
The tank was filling up to the water line. The holes were also not clogged. I have to assume something crazy happened when I moved this. I went ahead and just got a new toilet. I put it on, and the new toilet is running like a champ. I like it so much, I'm getting another new one when i redo the floor in my bathroom.

Thanks for helping me out though.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank was filling up to the water line. The holes were also not clogged. I have to assume something crazy happened when I moved this. I went ahead and just got a new toilet. I put it on, and the new toilet is running like a champ. I like it so much, I'm getting another new one when i redo the floor in my bathroom.

Thanks for helping me out though.

I'm guessing that the toilet wasn't working all that great before you moved it. You just noticed how crummy it was now for some reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks