Nice low-flow toilet comparision chart

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's where we get the MaP ratings from.
They test for how much "media" can be flushed consistently without plugging.

What they don't look at is:

Quality control
Bowl rinse
Noise levels
Availability of parts
How easy it is to make repairs at a later date
Whether there is a class action suit against a model of toilet
Perception of quality and appearance.

And really, if a car has a 350 cubic engine, is it always better than one that has a smaller engine?
If that were the case, the the car I took up sking with have the large engine, even though the rear tires would spin on snow.

Last edited:

perpetualapprentice

Reaction score
updated version with Toto ECO toilets

As an FYI, the link below is for a November '07 update to the MaP ratings and includes more 'ECO' toilets by Toto.

https://www.map-testing.com/

For me, the numbers alone are depressing because I really like the styling of the EcoNexus but it gets dinged in a MaP comparison to other options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I woulldn't worry about it.
I've used Toto toilets with an MaP of 325 and never needed a plunger.
I've used other brands with high MaPs and plugged them.

I don't know if they test with paper, but that's the thing I worry about.
I've been selling a lot of the Nexus toilets lately.
They do look killer.

perpetualapprentice

Reaction score
I've been selling a lot of the Nexus toilets lately.

Terry,
Thank you for the input.

Is the Nexus completely enclosed or is it open in the back like the Aquia?

I read the Aquia uses a plastic trapway which may be a bit noisier -- is that true for the Nexus as well? Can you comment on if the Nexus or the Drake is quieter overall?

I'm looking at ADA versions of both with the 'Eco' 1.28 gpf ratings. Can either of these be will-called through you in Claremont, CA?

Thank you,
Dave

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Noise levels are similar.

The Nexus bowl is a closer to the wall than the Aquia.
They are both open at the back.

The plastic trapways like with the Nexus and Aquia allow you to hear a few drops of water leaving the trapway when water is added to the bowl.

It's not even something you notice after you use it a few times.
Do you still listen to the clock on your car dash anymore?
Or just when you first bought the car?

I do have will call in Claremont for these products.

cst794_door.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Having used a Cimarron,
There is no rinse at the back of the bowl
And it plugs more than the Toto Drake and the Toto Dalton.

The Titan was getting 900 on the MaP, same as the Drake, but without the quality look about it.
There has been a problem with the Titan blowing out the wax seals.

titan_front2.jpg

Eljer Titan

Last edited:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
That's where we get the MaP ratings from.
They test for how much "media" can be flushed consistently without plugging.

What they don't look at is:

Quality control
Bowl rinse
Noise levels
Availability of parts
How easy it is to make repairs at a later date
Whether there is a class action suit against a model of toilet
Perception of quality and appearance.

And really, if a car has a 350 cubic engine, is it always better than one that has a smaller engine?
If that were the case, the the car I took up sking with have the large engine, even though the rear tires would spin on snow.

Ahh very true Terry, I was just hoping the chart could help me select some lower end toilets that work well; most of my customers can't justify spending the $$$ on a Toto, and I really can't recommend the Drake in good conscience on any other factor than performance alone, because it looks so damn ugly to me! I have installed the cadet3, and thought it was pretty decent, but I will shy away from recommending it to customers anymore because of the problems with the unit that I have read about on the forum.

I am starting to push Totos more, especially after having listened to your ravings about them (I installed a Dorian for myself, and even though I am a plumber, I still find it strange that a toilet should give so much satisfaction heh). I read that you installed a Toto Aquia in your own home a couple of years ago, I am considering recommending this unit as one of my lower end toilets, but I am not sure how well people would react to the small water spot. I remember the first time that I installed a Caroma, that the small water spot was a bit of a shock, and that it would "stain" easily. Do you find that the Aquia is fairly good, or really good at washing away "remnants," or do you need to brush the inside of the bowl regularly?

thx

ms914114-01.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst744sl_03_paper.jpg

TOTO Drake, This is ugly?

The Aquia does look nice, always a head turner in a bathroom.
The Drake to many people looks nice, but not with the drop dead look of the Aquia. the Aquia does have a fairly good bowl wash in the 1.6 mode.
More porcelain does show, and I would give the edge to bowl cleanliness to the Drake style.

TOTO Drake 800 grams by Veritech, Video

Last edited:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
cst744sl_03_paper.jpg

TOTO Drake, This is ugly?

The Aquia does look nice, always a head turner in a bathroom.
The Drake to many people looks nice, but not with the drop dead look of the Aquia. the Aquia does have a fairly good bowl wash in the 1.6 mode.
More porcelain does show, and I would give the edge to bowl cleanliness to the Drake style.

Ahaha, sorry Terry, but to me the Drake just looks too plain and old fashioned. That is just my opinion on it, and as you say, most people say it looks good enough. Thank you for your reply on the Aquia; but I think I will have to reccomend it with a warning based on what you say :(

It's too bad about American Standard, I really like alot of their product lines, but they seem to be mostly garbage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks