Best option for spa wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

restorick

Reaction score
Folks,

I've done a number of wiring jobs where everything was indoors and I only had to deal with romex.

But running a circuit for a hot tub is throwing me for a bit of a loop. My investigation shows that I can't run romex inside liquid-tite, but I certainly can run that indoors.

How would I best go about running this circuit? Do I get enough 6/3 romex and then strip off the outer insulation to run inside liquid-tite? Or do I setup a waterproof junction box outside where I change from romex to THHN?

Sorry if this seems like a basic question, but installing a subpanel in my garage seemed to be a hell of a lot more straighforward than this project, and there's a ton of conflicting info out on Al Gore's internet.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Rick

restorick

Reaction score
Chris,

Appreciate the link. I'll read through code 680, and check with my local inspector to see if I need to do anything special to comply here.

Rick

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Chris,

Appreciate the link. I'll read through code 680, and check with my local inspector to see if I need to do anything special to comply here.

Rick

Check out the 2nd link, it has pretty pictures, the section you want starts on page 656 of the pdf file, if you have any more questions just ask...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did one for my son with 3/4" PVC conduit. The last few feet of flex was connected to the end via a terminal adapter and liquid-tite fitting. The inspector was happy with it all.

I used #6 but if your load doesn't exceed 50 Amps you should be able to use #8 THHN/THWN with #10 ground. If you have a large 240 Volt heater (meaning low neutral load) you might be able to use #10 for the neutral. Compare that with Romex (NM) where you need #6 for 50 Amps.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We sleeve the last few feet of romex all the time and although a violation (wet area) never EVER get called on it.

To be compliant, change to thwn at a JB. This puts extra splices in the circuit and because I do a ton of troubleshooting, I'm not a big fan of extra splices.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
We sleeve the last few feet of romex all the time and although a violation (wet area) never EVER get called on it.

So does that make it right? I speed once and awhile, it's still against the law...

To be compliant, change to thwn at a JB. This puts extra splices in the circuit and because I do a ton of troubleshooting, I'm not a big fan of extra splices.

You need a disconnect anyways... do the job right, or don't do it at all...

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You need a disconnect anyways...

What's your point? Did I imply otherwise?

do the job right, or don't do it at all...

Then.....drive the speed limit or don't drive at all.

Don't start with me dude.:mad:

You choose when you can safely break the law and I choose whe I can safely violate the code. Same thing.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
So does that make it right? I speed once and awhile, it's still against the law...

I always say, follow your conscience--not the laws, rules, or codes.

Here's some laws that are still on the books in some states. There's a million more where these came from:

It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.

You may not drive barefooted.

It is illegal to maim oneself to escape jury duty.

It is illegal to impersonate a person of the clergy.

Women are able to retain all property they owned prior to marriage in the case of divorce. However, this provision does not apply to men.

Masks may not be worn in public.

Putting salt on a railraod track may be punishable by death.

Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.

Bear wrestling matches are prohibited.

It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street if you have a lantern attached to the front of your automobile.

Men may not spit in front of the opposite sex.

Incestuous marriages are legal.

It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

You must have windshield wipers on your car.

You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Then.....drive the speed limit or don't drive at all.

Don't start with me dude.:mad:

You choose when you can safely break the law and I choose whe I can safely violate the code. Same thing.

My point is, do you think it is the smartest thing to give bad advice on a DIY forum, especially since you know better? :mad:

He might as well go to Home Depot and ask them...

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
do you think it is the smartest thing to give bad advice on a DIY forum

A) I didn't tell him what to do, only told him what I do.

2) If it WAS advice, it's not bad advice. There is nothing mechanically wrong with it. It is a technical violation.

He might as well go to Home Depot and ask them...

I know more about this stuff than you and all the Home Depot guys put together so you are going to have to find another way to try and insult me..

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
A)

I know more about this stuff than you and all the Home Depot guys put together so you are going to have to find another way to try and insult me..

I'm not about to have a argument with someone who justifies doing non code complaint work...

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score

Oh boy. Here we go AGAIN.
You may not be a fan of splices, but the rest of us here are not fans of NON-compliant work.
This is not advice. I'm just saying how I would do it. :p

You know what, make your splices bulletproof then. Or better yet, DON'T make splices. Do it the right way and run the NM to the disconnect (if it is mounted on the house) and go from there with THWN in conduit and the maximum allowable 6' of sealtite at the tub.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The conductors in romex are THHN THWN, The jacket is not aproved for use outside.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Or better yet, DON'T make splices. Do it the right way and run the NM to the disconnect (if it is mounted on the house) and go from there with THWN in conduit

Read the post. Did I stutter?

That's exactly what I would do but the last few feet of the run, out of the attic, down to the disco, sleeved in NM, would be non compliant. THEN I suggested changing to thwn to remain compliant. If I somehow suggested running the NMout of the building straight to the spa, my bad. I assumed from the original post that he knew that a disco was required and was inquiring about a method to change wire types.

the maximum allowable 6' of sealtite at the tub.

Got a code reference for that one? You can run as much sealtite as you want because OBVIOUSLY you would put a GC in it....unless you were and idiot.

We all know that the wire in NM is thhn but since it's not marked, it's a technical violation. Sue me.

Also, MC is not marked on the wire but don't you ever run it in emt, exposed down to a switch for example? What ever.

the rest of us here are not fans of NON-compliant work.

Who elected you to be the head Dbag?

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Got a code reference for that one? You can run as much sealtite as you want because OBVIOUSLY you would put a GC in it....unless you were and idiot.

We all know that the wire in NM is thhn but since it's not marked, it's a technical violation. Sue me.

Also, MC is not marked on the wire but don't you ever run it in emt, exposed down to a switch for example? What ever.

Who elected you to be the head Dbag?

Your making such an ass out of yourself its not funny...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look...if this was a pro hangout, I wouldn't see anything wrong airing dirty laundry and shortcuts you take that you believe are fine. This is primarily a DIY'er help site. Therefore, it behooves us to ONLY give code approved responses. If you want to give some advice that isn't up to code, give it in private. If you do post it, make sure you indicate the right way, or that this is not the approved way to perform that task.

Name calling is pretty childish, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks