(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: sink not draining / just roughed.

Question sink not draining / just roughed.

I was asked to move a waste drain for a new vanity from existing 18" up to 24 1/2" so that i would not cut into a fixed shelf, so I changed the rough.

Now after all the sheetrock / vanity / sink is installed, the water does not drain. It just sits in the basin waiting for something to happen, and eventually does drain.

I am assuming that my waste is now to high. If it is, how can I lower it, without cutting into the fixed shelf? The bottom of the trap is about 2 inches above the shelf at the moment.

Thanks

I'm not sure I have your setup pictured right, and I'm not a plumber. But instead of changing the rough, couldn't you just extend the standpipe, and have the trap under the shelf?
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry896 View Post
    I was asked to move a waste drain for a new vanity from existing 18" up to 24 1/2" so that i would not cut into a fixed shelf, so I changed the rough.

Now after all the sheetrock / vanity / sink is installed, the water does not drain. It just sits in the basin waiting for something to happen, and eventually does drain.

I am assuming that my waste is now to high. If it is, how can I lower it, without cutting into the fixed shelf? The bottom of the trap is about 2 inches above the shelf at the moment.

Thanks
    as long as te trap arm enters the tee below the bowl of the sink it shouldn't matter. Sounds to me like someone poured something down the drain during construction (drywall mud and paint being the usual culprits)

Default drain

high or low, it is immaterial if all you did was move the elevation of the tee in the line. Either something is in the line, or we are not getting the correct information.

Remove the pop-up and check for build up or hair. Thats the only thing that it could be.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

It sounds like you either have something in the line or the trap is not at the right height.
    Note: I am a DIY'er and not a professional. My posts here are observations / opinions and may or may not be in accordance with your local ordinances.

maybe there is a test ball downstream.
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by BAPlumber View Post
    maybe there is a test ball downstream.
    If that's the case he has a whole different problem since the water is draining.

Plumbing Contractor westcoastplumber's Avatar

lowering or raising it does not mater, as long as you are draining below the sink.

Sounds like you need a drain cleaner to go and snake the drain.

I was on a job once, new construction, the owner pissed the plumbers off, fired them, they came back sometime and dumped 2 x 4's and chunks of wood down the vents, along with other debris, a 3 story house with an elevator, very bad situation, it was all walled up and completed, no one knew until is was finish time

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin336 View Post
    If that's the case he has a whole different problem since the water is draining.
    I once had a job where a deflated clean-seal (Cherne) was left in a drain line. It would plug up and let a little water pass.

Last edited by Terry; 06-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    lowering or raising it does not mater, as long as you are draining below the sink.

Sounds like you need a drain cleaner to go and snake the drain.

I was on a job once, new construction, the owner pissed the plumbers off, fired them, they came back sometime and dumped 2 x 4's and chunks of wood down the vents, along with other debris, a 3 story house with an elevator, very bad situation, it was all walled up and completed, no one knew until is was finish time
    Old Mason's trick: put a pane of glass halfway up the flue of every chimney you build. If the guy doesn't pay you, leave it there. His chimney won't draw, he looks up, no obstruction...

When you get paid, drop a brick down the chimney.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Somehow that sounds like an old myth Frenchie - blocking someone's chimney like that reads like a recipe for CO poisoning.
    Note: I am a DIY'er and not a professional. My posts here are observations / opinions and may or may not be in accordance with your local ordinances.