OWB's

Users who are viewing this thread

tinner666

Reaction score
Website
www.albertsroofing.com
A Minnasota friend says he only burns about 8 cords. Which seems to be the average. I have a relative with one burns about 7-8 cords. Which unit do you have. The 2 I'm talking about are Central and Taylor.

Tracker83

Reaction score
12 cord holy crap those things are way more inefficint then I thought
tinner666A said:
Minnasota friend says he only burns about 8 cords. Which seems to be the average. I have a relative with one burns about 7-8 cords. Which unit do you have. The 2 I'm talking about are Central and Taylor.
The 12 cord that I burned last winter contained a lot of green wood and a lot of "trash" wood (poplar, box alder, etc.). I don't expect to have to burn that much every year. I cut 10 cord for this winter and it's mostly hardwood that has had almost a year to age/dry. 1/3 of the way into heating season and I don't think I have burned 1/3 of the pile. Therefore 8-10 cord will probably be the normal for my situation. The 12 cord comment was intended to warn potential buyers about what they may have to burn. Mileage may vary...

My stove is a Pacific Western. Part of the reason why I may burn more wood than other OWB owners is because I bought a unit much larger than what I need. But the advantage is that I can go 2 days between fill-ups if I have to. That way I can leave for the weekend and not have to find a woodstove "baby-sitter". The extra wood required isn't a big deal for me as I have an unlimited supply of free wood.

I think that OWB's get an unfair rap when it comes to criticisms about wood consumption. Some things to consider when comparing the wood usage to a standard indoor woodstove:
1) Most OWB's are not only heating the primary structure, but are also heating domestic hot water and often times auxiliary structures. In my case I am heating my domestic hot water and keeping a 900 sq.ft. garage at 55F. The additional heating requirements will require the combustion of additional wood.
2) My woodstove burns for 6 months straight without stopping. Those with indoor stoves can let the fire go out during warm spells early and late in the heating season, and thus reduce their total annual consumption. It is slightly more difficult with an OWB to simply let the fire go out and then re-light a week later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks