(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: backer board

Default backer board

What is the correct way to finish a seam where the backer board meets the drywall.For example ,on a shower wall above the shower head.Do I use thinset and backer board tape or drywall tape and spackle?Same question for the walls around the rest of the bathroom ?

I guess it depends on where the seam is going to wind up - if under tile, I use backerboard tape & thinset. If beyond the tile, I use compound & skim the exposed backerboard.

I use mesh tape & setting compound for the rest of the walls in a bathroom: it's more moisture-resistant than paper tape & premix.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

I recently did the shower at my daughter's house. For various reasons having to do with out-of-plumb and out-of-plane studs, we ended up with the backer board proud of the adjacent drywall by about 3/16". We did the first field tile about 1/2" in from the edge of the backer. Then we found a very nice bullnose edge-moulding tile, and used that as the transition from the tile field to the surrounding drywall. Looks great,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...9/100_0992.jpg

Don' be too critical! The photo was taken before we caulked and painted!
    Last edited by jimbo; 11-30-2007 at 07:21 AM.

thank you

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I agree with Frenchie...if it is under tile, the thinset and alkali resistant tape. Note, that mesh tape looks the same as that available for drywall, but is different. Make sure you get the right stuff. The drywall stuff will disintegrate eventually under thinset.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

if Hardi use 1/4" thick stuff and shim it with pieces of itself. That will give you the right thickness to match 1/2" drywall. Don't use Hardi 500. It is one centimeter thick.

david

Quote Originally Posted by geniescience View Post
    if Hardi use 1/4" thick stuff and shim it with pieces of itself. That will give you the right thickness to match 1/2" drywall. Don't use Hardi 500. It is one centimeter thick.

david
    Is it really easier to cut many pieces to use as shims than to simply use two sheets of 1/4" Hardi?

Also, since he will be tiling right up to the drywall, wouldn't enough thinset be used to set the tiles to fill in that seam and then silicone caulk should be used to further seal the edge between the tile and the drywall. If you use any kind of tape that overlaps onto the drywall, you will have to mud and sand and mud and sand the whole perimeter of the shower until it looks perfect, since there would be no tile to hide the repair.
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 12-08-2007 at 10:34 AM.

on a shower wall above the shower head, for example. There you would like the 1/4" Hardi. Because there are no tiles there. In this case. The first post said "For example ,on a shower wall above the shower head"

david