(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Slow drain

Default Slow drain

We own a 1996 dbl wide mobile home, a few weeks ago the master bath started draining slowly.When the bath water is released there are large air bubbles in the toilet, and when the toilet is plunged water comes up in the sink. I took a small 1/4" snake on the roof vent and could only get to floor level with it before it hit something and wouldn't go any farther. A plumber came out pulled the toilet and snaked the line, that helped some, but not great, he then pulled the trap vent off the sink piping and everything works o.k., he said to buy a new trap vent, we did and it is back to the same thing.Works fine with it removed . Is my roof vent plugged and if so how do I clear it, I have heard of running a garden hose down it but the temps are below zero and I'm afraid I'll fill the vent pipe with water and it will freeze.

I just climbed on the roof with a 3/8 x 35' snake, the roof vent took the whole thing so I don't think its plugged, now I'm really baffled

Quote Originally Posted by tammyjo59 View Post
    I just climbed on the roof with a 3/8 x 35' snake, the roof vent took the whole thing so I don't think its plugged, now I'm really baffled
    It is not a vent problem you need to snake the main drain. You should have a clean out just under the trailer. I would call a pro.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Snakes available to homeowners usually are too small to clean serious clogs. That's why a professional is recommended. Please do not attempt to clear this with chemical drain openers. Not only do they not work, they create a hazardous condition for the plumber when you finally end up calling him. If you have already tried some chemical, tell the plumber what, how much, and when you used it.

Default Slow drain

We own a 1996 dbl wide mobile home, a few weeks ago the master bath started draining slowly.When the bath water is released there are large air bubbles in the toilet, and when the toilet is plunged water comes up in the sink. I took a small 1/4" snake on the roof vent and could only get to floor level with it before it hit something and wouldn't go any farther. A plumber came out pulled the toilet and snaked the line, that helped some, but not great, he then pulled the trap vent off the sink piping and everything works o.k., he said to buy a new trap vent, we did and it is back to the same thing.Works fine with it removed . Is my roof vent plugged and if so how do I clear it, I have heard of running a garden hose down it but the temps are below zero and I'm afraid I'll fill the vent pipe with water and it will freeze.
    Do you have a septic? If so, how long have you had the septic and have you had it pumped? I had the same indicators you just mentioned and when the lid was removed from the septic, bingo...filled to the rim.

plus baffel in your tank may be clogged. Check it out!

Yes we do have a septic, had it pumped 5 monthes ago, the other 2 bathrooms are working fine

Yes we do have a septic, had it pumped 5 monthes ago, the other 2 bathrooms are working fine
    Pull the toilet and run a snake down that line. You need a snake made for 3" or larger pipe. You could just have a minor soft stoppage. I would also check the baffle at the septic inlet just to make sure.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

The baffle at the inlet is a good bet. They get partly blocked off with deposits of soap, ect. and it looks like concrete. You will not be able to snake that, must be done at the top of the tank. I hope you have an access, if not grab a shovel. Put an access you will need it every now and then to clean that baffle. If you had it cleaned they should have cleaned the baffle, but maybe not.

I used to get the same symptoms with the trailer that I lived in. Found out that during Winter, the way the pipe hung, it would freeze the water sitting in it, and cause stoppage for just that one bathroom. As soon as I insulated the pipe with wrap insulation, it started to drain properly in the winter.

Can be anything as a block somewhere along the line to the other bathroom, or poor venting. A camera would work better for this to find out where the blockage is.