Washer and Dryer Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Barneyn

Reaction score
I am doing a bathroom renovation and moving my washer and dryer set to the second floor where the tub used to be. I know it makes sense to leave the old tub drain as a floor drian (just incase) but are there rules that require a ledge or water break to contain the washer and dry from the rest of the room if the unthinkable happens.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
laundry pan

I am doing a bathroom renovation and moving my washer and dryer set to the second floor where the tub used to be. I know it makes sense to leave the old tub drain as a floor drian (just incase) but are there rules that require a ledge or water break to contain the washer and dry from the rest of the room if the unthinkable happens.

You would need to install a pan.Research some I have Ideas but depends
on your application.Pics or more info would help.

Last edited:

Barneyn

Reaction score
OK, here we go.

I have taken out an interior wall from my original bathroom (NLS) that joins onto a bedroom and created a 140 SQ bathroom. My house is a bungalo and I have plenty of access in the basement under this room to access the essentials.

The vent stack and associated plumbing and drainage has been relocated to accomodate the new shower stall, new soaker tub loaction, new toilet location etc...

The original tub has been removed and the original tub drain has remained. I plan to install a brand new front load wash and dryer set where the tub originally was. The dryer is a bottom vent so that is fine. The washer will be a floor drain using a 2.0 inch pipe with a back flow flapper directly into the sewer line to the septic. This wash water line will be vented from the existing (original) tub vent line. I am leaving the old tub drain in the floor for nothing more than a sense of safety if.....

My ultimate question is for purely cosmetic reasons. I prefer not to build a small step or install a water pan if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance

Wondering

Reaction score
Since you are installing a front load washer onthe 2nd floor you need to check out the different brands. Some of them are better than others for 2nd floor installations while others will shake the house down.

Just thought I would mention this in case you had never heard about the front loaders/2nd floor vibration problems.

Barneyn

Reaction score
Good information. Thanks and that would be a huge bummer. I can't even stand a rattle in my car. I could just imagine the temper tantums now.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Today, in many areas, a washer installation in the house, and especially on the second floor, building code will mandate a pan or floor drain.

Mort

Reaction score
You might want to look at the gardenweb site on their laundry forum. As said, some front loaders can really be a problem on second story installations....mostly in the spin cycle. Some machines just don't seem to like the construction in certain houses. On any type of machine, it's a good practice to shut off the water after usage.....just my two cents.

Mort

Wondering

Reaction score
You might want to look at the Samsung machines with VRT. These are supposed to be really great at reducing the vibrations. The new Maytag Epic and the Whirlpool Duet are supposed to be good also or at least have an upgraded suspension--but not as good as the Samsung.

Also I would check where you are planning to buy and see if they have a return policy so if you do get a machine that is tearing down the house you can swap out for another make. Some stores have a restock fee of 15%(Sears) but I think that Lowe's and maybe HD will usually work with you to swap out if there is a problem. LG machines are supposed to be good but then they do better on a concrete floor so I have read.

Also be sure you leave your door cracked so the interior can dry out after washing so you will not get any mold build-up. Also use the correct HE detergent.

Thought I would pass this along cause it can be VERY disheartening to spend about 3K on a washer/dryer and have them stinking up the clothes plus trying to run out the door while spinning!

Seaneys

Reaction score
If you are using a front loader, realize that most of the front loading washing machines do not allow the washing machine door to be reversed. You may need to locate the washer on the left hand side.

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks