(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: WS salt dose?

Default WS salt dose?

I know, like asking Ford or Chevy. What salt dose would you recommend for a 30K 1cu ft unit set to 15k with 16gpg hardness, (0) iron city supplied water and set to regenerate every (7) days? I have seen between 4lb and 8lb.

Good read here, your question is answered in paragraph 8.

http://www.mongerwaterservice.com/ht...softeners.html
    Helpful Guides

Quote Originally Posted by sjh View Post
    I know, like asking Ford or Chevy. What salt dose would you recommend for a 30K 1cu ft unit set to 15k with 16gpg hardness, (0) iron city supplied water and set to regenerate every (7) days? I have seen between 4lb and 8lb.
    It should be 4.5 lbs with regular mesh resins but... there's more to it than picking a number.

You are using sodium chloride and not potassium right?

The people you bought the softener from, what settings did they tell you to use? If you have more than 1.5 bathrooms and/or more than one person in the house, a 1 cuft softener isn't going to work well because its SFR is probably too low.

The info in paragraph 8 in that link, it has some incorrect info in it. They start out talking about salt doses and then switch into a hardness heel without calling it that and then hardness leakage but... they don't explain either fully.

Depending on the length of the service run, the heel usually isn't a problem.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.