Does a shower bypass door work for a not quite level tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

fritzfox

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can install a shower bypass door on my tub if the last remodel wasn't particularly well plumbed (or things got out of shape somehow)?

I have bought a Sterling bypass door... but after making some preliminary measurements, I am considering taking it back to Lowes...

I have an old victorian house and not much is level. The bathroom was remodeled sometime within the last 15-20 years, and looks really nice. The bathtub is not level. The right side is about 5/8" higher than the left. The right wall (outside wall) is pretty level/flush, but the left leans a little outward/leans left-- The top "rail" measurement is 1 1/4" more than the bottom because the left wall leans. All the walls are mostly flat (don't bow) too, which is fortunate. The left wall is very sturdy and doesn't flex much either.

Will a bypass door adjust/work within these thresholds?

Thanks!
--Fritz

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might have trouble getting a custom door to fit...if the track for them isn't level, you can't get them to stay, and the long end wouldn't slide to the other end. Sounds like shower curtain...unless you want swinging doors.

fritzfox

Reaction score
Someone at work said I could adjust the left door to hang at an angle, which might help to come up flush enough against the left wall, at least leave no open gaps outside the collar.. He thought it would work fine.

In any case, I don't think I will risk it. I was thinking about trying to set the top rail level and having it ride deep within the bottom rail at one end, and shallow at the other.. for now though, I think I will trust the mods.

I already took the door back to Lowes, with no hassles as usual (One nice thing about big-box hardware stores).

Many thanks for the warnings, and collective knowledge that I wasn't able to get from searching the forum!

--Fritz

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks