(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entire home rewire by non-pro..

Being an electrician is like driving a truck-except when you make a small driving mistake, a passenger named Kato takes $ out of your wallet . For a big mistake he zaps you with a taser. For a huge mistake, he shoots you. If you are an amateur trying to be an electrician-it is like driving blindfolded-because you don't know the rules. Problem is, Kato (the laws of science) is on the job 24/7. This is about worker safety. The mistakes you bury in the wall will show up later at unpredictable times. That is about occupant safety.

An engineer can do this, but it will be done without intuition developed from doing it multiple times and the learning from prior mistakes. It just seems like a lot of work for one person.

If your house has knob and tube, the walls are probably plaster and ugly and cracked. Fishing lots of wire is a pain in the a$$. Why not remodel with sheet rock or is the house not worth it?

Personally, I've always had a fantasy of seeing an old house with restored knob and tube wiring. I'd feel differently about living in it.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Wouldn't knob and tube help with mouse problems ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alectrician View Post
    Then in the same box you will get a remote reciever that has ZERO clearance when you try to stuff it into the canopy.
    I just installed two of those and had a bear of a time trying to cover all the wires and the receiver with that little canopy.

A 400 amp service? How large is the house? Will it have electric heating?

I install switches 42" off the floor, measured to the top of the outlet box. Receptacles 19" Some sparkys put switches higher, but I like to avoid teh drywall seams.