(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: carbon monoxide and smoke detector placement

Default carbon monoxide and smoke detector placement

I am rewiring my house and the electrician stated I should mount my hardwire carbon monoxide detector low on the wall and smoke detector at the ceiling.

Anybody know why? and if I should mount it low, is it 12" from the ground like an outlet box?

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geandham View Post
    I am rewiring my house and the electrician stated I should mount my hardwire carbon monoxide detector low on the wall and smoke detector at the ceiling.

Anybody know why? and if I should mount it low, is it 12" from the ground like an outlet box?
    Read the information that comes wiht the detector and it will give you the suggested hight for mounting

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

CO is 3% lighter than "air", but that's not relevant. There's a long technical discussion from DoE here: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03364.htm, but the bottom line seems to be - mount it high.
    Last edited by Mikey; 01-05-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Smile

I am doing a remodel / whole house re-wire. Am I required to provide a carbon monoxide detector.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lahabra View Post
    I am doing a remodel / whole house re-wire. Am I required to provide a carbon monoxide detector.
    Call your local building official to get the official requirement in your area. Requirements aside, it'd be pretty silly not to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lahabra View Post

"required" depends on where you are. Massachusetts, for one, does mandate carbon monoxide alarms in any residence with fuel burning apppliances. They also seem to have a new law requiring that if you use a combo smoke/CO , the smoke must be photoelectric.