Can't prime deep well jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

barkwaffle

Reaction score
Help! Newbie so be kind? My well pump fried itself last week. Replacing with exact same pump - Water Ace 1 hp RC10 from Lowes - - located 8" from well head, galvanized displacement tank affixed above it on the wall (which completely emptied during pump replcament). Everything hooked up but pump will not prime. Only took a half cup of water through the pressure regulator hole on top before overflowing - - checked it several times since and is still full - nothing's filling up, no water in displacement tank (do I need to manually fill the tank halfway?). Ran pump for five minutes and nothing, but don't want to burn out the new one... any suggestions?! Been without water for a week now! Thanks,

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The pump may have become air locked and given you the impression that it was primed enough.

If the hole is 1/4" it is too small.

If the pump is above ground it is a shallow well not a deep well.

Last edited by a moderator:

barkwaffle

Reaction score
200 ft. well

Regulator hole is 1" opening (not 1/4" gauge opening).... well is 200 ft. supposedly.... two pipes coming out of pump into well ..... is there another way to force water into it? thx

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you replaced the pump it would seem that the pump housing is empty. Some or all of the well pipes may be empty also. If you can't put water in the pump, you must be using the wrong plug. Without water in the pump casting, it will most certainly not prime.

I don't know how long that Water Ace lasted, but you might have been better off buying a good pump.

The Backpressure Regulator on a Myers Pump (who makes Water Ace) has a 1/2" priming plug not a 1", so I'm not sure where your seeing a 1" opening.

You said the old WA fried, did it melt down or did it just stop pumping?

bob...

barkwaffle

Reaction score
old pump

Thanksgiving morning - had no choice but to replace with another WaterAce as everyone else off for entire four day weekend. Old Water Ace lasted seven years, not real good. 1" opening is right on top of impeller housing, clearly marked in manual as where they want you to add water, they suggest garden hose inserted there... does water need to be under pressure to add it? The old pump seized I'm assuming as my daughter was doing laundry in middle of the night, also showering and flushing - ran pump dry which has happened in the past when multiple faucets, garden hoses, washing machine on, etc. water pressure couldn't keep up. Anyway - should I disconnect pump again from lines, fill well piping directly, re-attach everything, fill pump again and try? Or should I let pump run for longer than five minutes? or should prime be immediate? thx

Speedbump

Reaction score
Only took a half cup of water through the pressure regulator hole on top before overflowing

Where are you getting this Pressure Regulator Hole from? Either you have a Backpressure Regulator or you don't.

All deep well jet pumps come with a Backpressure Regulator unless they are convertible pumps then you have to choose between a Shallow Well Jet or a Backpressure Control Valve. That's the problem with shopping at Big Box, you don't get any help with this stuff. So you probably have a deep well convertible jet pump without a Backpressure Regulator which is the reason it won't prime.

I am not sure though how you filled up a pump that should hold a quart or so with 1/2 cup of water.

bob...

barkwaffle

Reaction score
diagram

The pressure regulator screws into the 1†hole – you are supposed to fill the pump and well piping through that hole first, then screw in the regulator. I would love to have dealt with anyone other than Lowes but only one supply house open through the entire weekend and quoted $ 785.00 just to buy a Myers HJ100, plus a week to order it - - - versus $ 256 for the RC10 at Lowes on the shelf.

See link below - - shows the opening at top?

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I thought you at least had a real Myers, but you got one of those Chinese knockoffs which even have less actual horsepower than the Myers version of the RC.

Can you show me a picture of the backpressure control?

bob...

barkwaffle

Reaction score
regulator

Correct - - - black item “H†is the regulator - - pressure gauge itself just screws into the side of the regulator.

Thanks!

barkwaffle

Reaction score
Water into piping?

Is it possible that the air in the well piping can’t escape when trying to pour water in, and is preventing the water from filling the lines? Do you need to add water under pressure, or open an additional fitting to allow the air to escape? I hate to drag a professional out on overtime if it’s just a priming issue that I can rectify? If I remove the pump and add water directly into the well piping - -- then re-hook up the pump and start - - will the water stay in the piping, or will it disburse under ground before I get it hooked back up?

thx

Speedbump

Reaction score
That backpressure control is a joke.

Unless you installed the pump down below the two pipes they should fill nicely. Like I said before that pump probably doesn't have enough oomph to operate the ejector in the well and especially without a proper backpressure control.

bob...

barkwaffle

Reaction score
previous pump

Previous pump was the same unit and lasted seven years without problems - - not that there is much to shout about from that, but it must be able to handle the load.... I guess I will de-install and pour more water down the lines again and try yet again unless someone has any ideas?
Thx

barkwaffle

Reaction score
Anyone with some quick suggestions to try?

Can anyone give me a check list of quick suggestions to try?

Thanks for the help......

johnastephens

Reaction score
Back pressure regulator

I have a water ace deep well jet pump that is 35 yeas old. the only thing that I have done to that pump over the years is to replace the switch several times and bend new hooks on the starting capacitor governor springs. Recently the switch malfunctioned again so I decided to replace the pump only because it's a 60 mile round trip to work on it. I replace it with a Water Ace since the old one gave me such great service. I couldn't get the old back pressure regulator out of the old pump so as a matter of convenience I simply installed a tee instead and it works fine. Can someone that has experienced the ramifications of not using a back pressure valve tell me what problems that might occur from the absence of the valve.

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
When the water level in a well is far enough down (can't give an exact depth as the jet, pump and all other things are the variables) in the well, the pump can't push water to the surface without a certain amount of pressure at the jet. Without the backpressure control, no water will come to the surface. The rinky dink backpressure controls that have only a valve instead of a spring loaded device are strictly for priming. Once primed, they are useless. The spring loaded valves keep the backpressure where it should be during times when lots of water is used. The rinky dink ones will simply allow the pump to lost it's prime once the pressure drops below the set amount.

bob...

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Spring loaded Regulator Valve vs restrictor valve

I don't like (Lowes/Home Depot and others) pumps. Most are foreign made or lower quality pumps, but they do work and sometimes for a long time. However they lack proper technical assistance.

The priming hole is usually the largest vertical hole or plug in the top of the pump housing. In the case of your Water Ace there is only 1 hole in the top. You may have to install a Street Tee with a priming plug in the top of the Tee and install the restrictor valve on the side of the Tee. Close the valve, prime the pump, replace the priming plug and leave it loose (to let the air escape). You may have to do this several times. Once the pump is primed (you'll hear it), open the restrictor valve to maintain about 25 psi on the pump.

A deep well jet pump needs a spring loaded regulator valve to make the jet assembly work properly. However once the pressure reaches and stays at 22 psi plus, it really doesn't matter if a regulator valve or restrictor valve is in the line or not.

I suspect your problem is a plugged or restricted nozzle in the jet assembly in the well. Remove and disassemble the jet, remove the venturi and then the nozzle. Check the nozzle for a piece of rust; gasket material; rock or whatever.

You may have to do this several times to get rid of the debris in the system.

Be patient. . . persist and good luck!

laurahh

Reaction score
The pump may have become air locked and given you the impression that it was primed enough.

If the hole is 1/4" it is too small.

If the pump is above ground it is a shallow well not a deep well.
Wrong.
There are above ground deep and shallow water pumps.
Anything over 25 feet deep is deep well.
Submersible go far deeper then deep well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks