Questions on replacing wall mount toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

xbob

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question on replacing some wall hung toilets. The units are the originals from the house, stamped with manufacturing dates from 1969. They appear to have a standard wall mount bolt arrangement (4 bolts square pattern, 9" apart width, 7 1/2" apart height, 5/8th bolts). The bottom bolts (and presumably the drain center) are 4 1/4" high off the floor. I am looking for a few things in the replacements.

attachment.php

1) The city of Austin rebates HET toilets (1.28 or less) $150 per unit and 1.6gpf $75 per unit. I would prefer dual flush HET toilets both for the higher rebate and the water savings.
2) I would like to have at least 16 1/2 rim height.
3) Elongated bowl.
4) Works with standard residential water supply, I don't have the plumbing to support a commercial flush valve.

So far, here is what I can find:

American Standard Glenwall and Eljer Walford - It looks like these toilets will have a very low rim height with my current wall mounts.

Crane Rexmont - Rim height is good, but still only 1.6 GPF and seems to have bad reputation for flush performance.

So it looks like I'm out of luck in looking for a wall mount HET, or even a wallmount with good flush performance that will not be too low to the floor. I am assuming that moving the drain and mounts higher would be a substantial project.

So here is part 2 of my question. How hard is it for a plumber to install a rear discharge floor mount toilet where a wall mount used to be? It looks like the drain is already in the right place, but the mounting bolts are much narrower. Also is there a different type of flange on a rear discharge vs wall mount? If I can mount a Gerber DF-21-325, it looks like I'll hit all four of my criteria - I just would like some idea of the feasibility of the swap.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

glenwall_picture.jpg

American Standard Glenwall

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

With a wall mount toilet, you just raise the opening if you want a different rim height, so they do not make "ADA" specification toilets for them. The floor mount rear outlets use a floor type flange on the wall with a pipe replacing the current stub.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
HET toilets ( 1.28 GPF ) are an emerging technology. The variety of available models is limited at this time.

California has passed a mandated 1.3 GPF law. Beginning in Jan 2008, it will be phased in, requiring manufacturers to have a certain % of their production meeting the new spec. 100% mandatory in 2010. With about 10% of the entire population of the US living in California, things like this tend to have national impact. You can expect to start seeing a lot more of these models.

xbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far!

With existing construction consisting of tile walls with cast iron drain pipes, I figure that raising the drain opening would be a fairly complex and pricey endeavor. Even if I do, I'm stuck with more expensive toilets with less rebate from the city. If I go rear discharge I can get get Gerber Ultra Dual flush for cheaper and w/ a bigger rebate. But I don't know what is involved in converting to a different fixture style - the drain is already at the right height, can I just install a flange?

Which do you guys think is easier - raising the carrier in the wall for a taller wall mount or replacing the wall stub with a flange for an ADA rear discharge?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks