Paint Sprayers

Users who are viewing this thread

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Drywall is wrapping up in the next day or two and then I'll be painting and plan on spraying since I have alot to do. So what is a decent sprayer to get me through 4 rooms and ceilings that won't break the bank?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Do you plan on doing more spraying in the future or do you just want a machine that will get you through this job?

Tom

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally for 4 rooms and ceilings I wouldn't bother with a sprayer.

If you do go with a sprayer I would use Flotroll. It will give you more time to work with the paint. I have always used it even when brushing, it cuts the brush drag considerably and helps to lessen brush marks by allowing the paint to lay flater.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
IMHO, for 4 rooms, you will spend more time masking the windows, setting up the sprayer, and cleaning it up afterwards.

Professional painters get good at this, but for me a sprayer is too much trouble. Easy to say, because my labor, at home, is free!

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
IMHO, for 4 rooms, you will spend more time masking the windows, setting up the sprayer, and cleaning it up afterwards.

Professional painters get good at this, but for me a sprayer is too much trouble. Easy to say, because my labor, at home, is free!

If you know how to properly use a sprayer and a blade you souldn't need any tape or need to back roll. If you ahve all the right tips and have the technique down you don't even need a blade.

My uncle is a pro with one of those things and can even paint trim with the proper tips and only needs a 15" blade. Pretty impressive to watch.

Tom

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem with not backrolling or using a brush is you can never touch up a wall or trim because the brush marks will show up big time.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I plan on backrolling after the second coat. I realize 4 rooms and ceilings doesn't sound like much but after two coats of primer and two coats of paint all around it's alot to roll. I plan on spraying both coats of primer since I don't have to worry about overspray, then spray both coats on the ceiling then will most likely spray first coat then roll second on the walls becuase we're doing a rag roll blend on the walls with two different colors. I picked up a wagner power plus today for $60 on sale, will just sell it after I'm done with it, figure I'll get my money's worth out of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tint your primer to the finish coat's color, and you may succeed with one coat of each.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you know how to properly use a sprayer and a blade you shouldn't need any tape or need to back roll. Tom

I don't care what technique you have you should ALWAYS back-roll. Technique will not give you the same texture as a 3/8" nap roller.

Sure you don't have to and the walls will look great but if you ever have to touch up the wall, to get the same texture, you'll have to get the sprayer out again, tape and tarp everything and spend an hour cleaning the sprayer.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Guys that isn't true you can get the same texture as a paint sprayer with a foam roller.

I never back roll.

Tom

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guys that isn't true you can get the same texture as a paint sprayer with a foam roller.

I never back roll.

Tom

You either need glasses or are bluffing.

Bad practice man.

Call up any paint supplier in your area and ask them what will happen if you don't back-roll and want to touch up.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Tint your primer to the finish coat's color, and you may succeed with one coat of each.

This would be ok with the ceiling but with the walls using two different colors I can't.

I use two coats of primer to help hide imperfections I may have overlooked while sanding (shrunken screwheads, fish eyes, etc.) and to keep chalk lines and pen marks from bleeding through.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Foam rollers are for rolling doors. They are extra smooth just like a sprayed job. I've sprayed two houses and I have blended in tons of paint for wall patches, after the fact. Try it out. Yes I could be blind though. LOL

If you're trying to hide imperfection try using First Coat by USG. It is a mud infused primer. You can get it at a Drywall Supply House. It's a pain to put up because it likes to splatter and spray even with a 1/4" nap roller but it makes small stuff disappear. One coat. It also costs about $10 a gallon so really affordable. As far as I know you can only get it in 5 gallon buckets.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks