Ejector pump constantly humming, not ejecting

Users who are viewing this thread

tgrooves

Reaction score
My ejector pump is making a low humming sound but nothing is ejecting. It's a Hydromatic with I believe a diaphragm switch. I checked the fuse box, all seems ok. I plugged the pump cord directly into the outlet (bypassing piggyback) and same result (humming). The diaphragm switch is submersed in water but the pump is not (so not a lot in there). I believe it was humming for 30+ minutes but then stopped and then started up again a little while later (that's when I discovered what the humming sound was). So it seems like it is switching on and off but it is definitely not working right. What are my next steps to diagnose the issue?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Disconnect the discharge pipe and then plug it in. I saw one once that hadn't operated during the dry season and the check valve stuck closed. Those pumps don't develop enough pressure to un-stick a stuck valve.

It could also be air bound with air between the pump and the check valve. Many people drill a 1/8" hole in the pipe just above the pump, before the check valve, where it will discharge into the sump. That will let the air out so the pump will be have water around the impeller.

If it pumps water out the 1/8" hole but not out the discharge of the pipe, then the line is plugged somewhere.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If unpluging and pluging it back in doesn't do it you will have to pull it and inspect it.

Lots of things that can make it through a toilet will jam the impellers. I have found toys, toilet paper holders, tampons, womens curlers, Etc.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Humming means the motor is running. And shutting off by itself means it's getting very hot. You may have already nuked the impeller, so an inspection is in order.

If you keep running it in that hot water, you will eventually nuke the motor.

bob...

R

Rancher

Humming only means the motor windings are getting power, the impeller could be jambed, or frozen.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
I believe it was humming for 30+ minutes but then stopped and then started up again a little while later (that's when I discovered what the humming sound was).

I don't think so Rancher.

bob...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, it could be, Zoeller has a thermal overload cut out that will turn it off when the temp gets to high and turn back on when it cools down so the impeller could be jammed or the switch could be stuck on but normally when the switch is stuck on you can hear the impellers splashing water from time to time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks