How to remove Moen Monticello handle set

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffH

Reaction score
Trying to replace cart, but unable to figure out how to remove handles from the top. I did try to hold the valve from underneth the lav, and turn the handle but it doesn't want to budge. I didn't want to use enough force to damage anything, but maybe that is what it takes! I wanted to avoid taking the thing apart from the bottom if possible. In the first picture the red piece was already broken by a handyman that tried to fix it, but failed. Anyone familiar with this model?
Moen T4570

Attachments

• Moen1.JPG
    Moen1.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 7,215
  • Moen2.JPG
    Moen2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 26,326
Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
You hold the handle lever steady and turn the big ball-shaped part beneath it to unscrew it. If it's difficult to turn, you need a strap wrench.

monticello-handle-removal-1.jpg

JeffH

Reaction score
Okay, how about plan B

Jeez, I can't get this handle off for the life of me. Two different strap wrenches (leather, rubber), holding the valve with locking pliers, holding the handle with locking pliers, PB Blaster, etc, etc. I HATE LOSING! So, is there a plan "B".
Fortunately the Customer is not totally against a new faucet, but I want her to make that decision because she wants to NOT because she has to.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It's just a fine thread. A little corrosion can make it hard to remove. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say. You said you were trying to hold the valve and turn the handle, and of course that won't work. It's the part below the handle that turns, and the handle should remain stationary.

You've already got one handle off - but why did you take off the escutcheon as well as the handle? Since you've got one off, you can see how they come off. And you need the special Moen tool to remove the ring that holds the cartridge in place.

Does it seem like I'm understanding you correctly so far?

JeffH

Reaction score
Close

The hot side was disassembled already and the handyman broke the red splined piece removing it.
Back to the problem. The handle is not off and YES I was trying to turn the fat piece. It won't turn underneth the handle (or with the handle for that matter). I put lock pliers on the valve underneth the sink just so it wouldn't turn. I even tried a handle puller, but of course that didn't work. Maybe it's just time for a new faucet.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove any excess WD-40, PB Blaster, etc., and put some heat on that sucker. Then use your wrench to unscrew it. Not sure when chrome-plated brass melts, so try a little heat at first.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

Hold the bottom with the Channelocks, then use a wrench on the fat piece. After you get it off, call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and tell them you need a new handle because the old one was frozen to the faucet and you had to damage it to remove it and you also need a retainer removal wrench. The Moen extractor you have will not work on that faucet.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Wish I had a nickel for every one of those broken red, or blue, handle adapters on the Monticellos!

Crabface71

Reaction score
Thank you!

Oh my goodness! Finally, thank you Herk for posting the answer! I've worked on sinks and tubs before & never had such a problem. I had unscrewed the handle and then tried to just pry the ball part off after watching a video of what looked like my faucet :O then I brought pictures to Home Depot along w/model # and the guy thought I needed this special tool(like an Allen wrench), but that wasn't the case!!! I was ready to use a hammer lol! THANK YOU!!! Lisa :D

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Finally, thank you Herk for posting the answer

What was your problem, at least 5 of the above answers said to UNSCREW the handle boss from the valve body, so any one of them should have been all you would need.

pwalden

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I cannot get the faucet handles off.

Other videos and threads say to just pull the handle part off and then spin off the lower fat part.

First, I cannot pull off the faucet handle. I have also tried a hammer, chisel and screwdriver to get the handles off, but no luck.

Secondly, other advice was to just spin off the lower body (fat part) with a wrench (and that might force the handle off). I got the thing to spin, but it just spins and spins. May be it is off , but the handle is keeping on the stem?

Any advice.

pwalden

Reaction score
The house was built in 1995, so I believe the pre 2002 situation applies.

The article seem to apply more to assembling the replacement.

I cannot get the existing handles off.

The left faucet stub just spins and does not come off. The plastic part inside the handle has broken. I can see part of it still attached to the stem.

The right one, I cannot get the handle off at all. The video you supplied I have seen before and it implies I can force it off by wrenching off the lower body. However, again the lower body just spins. I tried forcing the handle off with a chisel, but it really seems like it is being held in place by a fastener (or glue?).

Almost ready to saw off the fittings below the sink...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks