New basement rough in advice

Users who are viewing this thread

randymatz

Reaction score
I attached an image of the current layout of my unfinished basement. I am hoping for some opinions on how to best plumb a full bathroom. If I should use a macerating toilet or if I should cut into the slab and run new plumbing.
basement.JPG
For the attached image, this is the key to the items designated

green circle - this looks like a standard vent stack and as far as I can tell the only thing above it are a sink and a dishwasher. I need to fully document my entire layout but this is just preliminary. I am not sure where my upstairs bathrooms drain to.

The red circle appears to be cast iron and goes to the bathroom / laundry room in our sunken living room

the pink square is the water line into the house

the empty square is the location of the furnace and water heater

the black circle is the floor drain.

The giant X is where I would like to place the bathroom.

If I do this it will be my first foray into major plumbing and also cutting into a slab. I am not afraid of most house projects, I just want to know everything before attempting them.

How big of an undertaking is cutting through the slab and running the plumbing?

Thank you all for your help!

Randy

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to speak to the intercepting of the plumbing but you will need a vent for your new bathroom and you're going to have to run that to the outside. That is a plumbing question though. As for breaking up the concrete that isn't all that bad as long as you have a good back.

You can use a cement saw or your can bust it out with a large jack hammer. Really depends on the thickness and strength of the concrete. Then carry the concrete out. You'll be laying the new pipes in your trench. You'll need to back fill with sand and then concrete.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks