(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Steel entry door weatherstripping - where to find?

Hybrid View

Default Steel entry door weatherstripping - where to find?

I have a steel entry door, with steel jamb, between the garage and kitchen. The weatherstripping is worn out and I want to replace it. However, I can't find a manufacturer's name on the door or jamb, and I can't get the old weatherstripping out without completely destroying it.

I've searched and haven't come up with anything promising. Any suggestions where to start? The weatherstripping is an extruded elastomer/rubber material, with a "bulb" shape. It seems to be glued/adhered to the steel jamb, but it's hard to tell without taking it apart.

Thanks for any input.

I've used a weatherstrip material sometimes refered to as "smoke seal" on hollow metal frames before.. it's a rubber bulb type profile and comes with self adhering tape that sticks to the frame. I've bought it at commercial door and hardware suppliers. never seen it at a home center but you never know....good luck

jkm, thanks for the reply. Did you use something like this?

http://www.specialtydoors.com/images/smokeseals1.gif

I pulled a little of the weatherstrip out of the jamb, and it is simply pushed into a channel. The seal is extruded rubber, with a barbed shape to hold it in the channel. I think it's called a kerf-in door gasket. But what I find on the internet has the kerf in the stop, rather than the jamb. I need a seal that pushes into the jamb kerf/rabbet. The slot/kerf/rabbet is about 3/8" wide.

Still looking but would appreciate any leads. Thanks.
    Last edited by chassis; 11-26-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you happen to get Fine Homebuilding, there's a company that advertises that sort of stuff. You might also check www.rockler.com, they carry some stuff like that. I haven't looked through their catalog recently. If you're lucky, you might live near one of their stores - there's two within 40 miles or so of my house.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Chassis
    Yeah the stuff I was thinking of was similar to the profile S88 in the link you gave...sounds like you need a different animal though..wil the normal kerf type for wood jambs work in your situation? If so, thaats pretty common in the home centers.
    cya
    JK

Looked at Lowe's today for weatherstripping. Almost zero that came close to what I have. I'll try to post a pic.