Venting questions

Users who are viewing this thread

alannaimee

Reaction score
Good evening all.

During the course of troubleshooting a suspected vent issue, I went to the roof and put the running garden hose down the vent. In about 10 seconds or so, the water was coming out of the vent. I know for sure the main drain is clear.

I'm not a plumber, so can this happen with a 4" vent stack that is totally free and clear? It seems as though the vent stack should easily handle the flow from a standard water hose.

Further, I've found that 2 45 degree bends along with a 1 foot straight section of the vent is cast iron. The house is about 50 years old. Could this cast section be junked up causing my problem?

What am I missing? Any suggestions appreciated.

BellPilot

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have a clog in the vent line. It could be a bird's nest, a dead squirrel, a rat, a pile of leaves and twigs, etc. A garden hose in that size pipe should have no impact and just flow out to the sewer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

You need to snake the vent from top to bottom with a heavy-duty plumber's snake (can be rented)

If you rent it be sure it is light enough to carry up on the roof, but big enough to do the job. Or call a plumber to do it and let him take the risk of falling off the roof, or hurting his back taking his snake up there.

alannaimee

Reaction score
Thanks to the folks who took the time to answer. You've confirmed what I thought.

Will get to it this weekend, and let you know how it goes.

Alan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks